Re: [Epic] GW Substitutions

From: DLIL-Lewiston, Kris <ponchoc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 03:51:20 -0500

Chen-Song Qin wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, DLIL-Lewiston, Kris wrote:
>
> > I was given most of a motorized divisions TO&E including the entire BFV
> > complement. They look very good on the table with the Space Marine
> > figs, so I have been using them instead of the rhino plastic. The
> > rhinos have been undergoing modifications to whirlwind and predator
> > status.
>
> man, man, you're lucky. I wish someone would give ME a motorized
> division:)
> Don't you think the GHQ stuff are kind of small though, compared to the
> GW stuff? I noticed that rhinos have a higher silhouette than my M60A3's.
>
> > I have also found that the A-1 Abrhams tanks make good predators(though
> > without the sponsons). Also the bridge layers make for interesting
> > scenarios (they knocked down the bridge sir...well call in the engineers
> > :-) ).
>
> Also, I've been using Soviet BTR-50's and German Raketen Panzers (without
> the missile mounting) as Imperial Guard Chimera equivalents.
>
> > Yes, the micro armor has undergone some price hiking over the last few
> > years, but the line has many vehicles that work for almost any army. I
> > particularly like the engineering tanks based on the M-60 chassis. Dozer
> > blades and tank guns go so well together.
>
> A store around here used to sell some of the old GHQ/RAFM plastic bags for
> $2.25 or $1.25 each.(Cdn $ no less) That's how I built up the above
> mentioned Tech Guard mechanized company for about $2.50 (Cdn) and some
> Eldar Guardians with sawed-off "dunce caps".

The Bradleys do look a little small but they look rather nice. Another
good substitution is the use of the Silent Death fighters for your
Thunderbolts, marauders, and fighta-bomberz. I can't remember who makes
them of the top of my head though.

Also, GHQ makes infantry now, the Russian Motorized infantry company
runs about $9 US and has an entire Russian infantry TO&E for a company (
about 120 troops+ support weaponry). They can be used as IG in a jiffy.