Re: [Epic][E40k] blast markers vs super-heavies

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 20:11:51 +0100

> > > How does these rules work for whirlwhinds and other atry?
>
> > It doesn't, the lock on only applies to SHW's
>
> Er... but Barrage weapons ARE SHWs. They're in the SHW section. OTOH
> normal,
> as opposed to Heavy, Barrage weapons are not SHWs when it comes to blast
> markers.

Correct (and ignore anything I've said to the contrary!)

> The question is, are Heavy Barrages SHWs when it comes to apportioning
> blast markers? The text says they are "similar in most ways" to
> barrages. I've interpreted this to mean similar, but not identical, if a
> unit of Manticores fires with an FP of 24, you get 2 BMs for 9+ SHWs,
> and 3 for 24+ FP, total 5.
> Whereas a unit of Whirlwinds only adds its FPs to the unit it's with. No
> extra BMs for SHW status.

I think the intention is that neither barrages nor heavy barrages count
as SHWs for adding BMs to the enemy - rather they each work by loading
additional FP to the shooting detachment (and thereby increasing the
number of BMs inflicted on the enemy). The dissimilarity between heavy
barrage and barrage is the alternate turns firing and the doubling of
hits under the template.

Richard