Re: [Epic] Things I miss in E40K

From: Koontz <koontz_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 02:10:58 -0700

>>>Kelvin, you ought to be shot for giving us such a teaser like that :)
>>>I dunno about the rest, but I sure would like to find out how to
>>>mass-produce tanks, wave serpents quickly and cheaply. STC does not
count !!

>>Geez. Just surf some 40K modeling pages. I've run across 2 methods for
>>making molds. It's not high-tech stuff, and the techniques are not
>>"classified." I think GW has better things to do than go around peeping in
>>windows to see if you are infringing on their copyrights. Just don't take
>>the things to Games Day or try selling them.
>>
>>Temp
>
>Talking about too busy to chase folks infringing (in a small way) their
>copyrights, I heard Wizard of the Coast (Magic) intend to buy over TSR
right ?

>I understand that TSR is extremely touchy on common folks using their logos,
>art, trademark, copyright stuff even in non-profit endeavour (like webpages,
>FAQs and so on). Any possible connection (probably very tenous if there is)
>between their over-protection of trademarks and their dwindling popularity ?

I thought now would be a good time to jump in this thread. I am currently
experimenting with molds. My first batch of WFB figs turned out
adequate(sp?), (the first few 1-8) are excellent! After that the quality
goes steadily downhill. I use an RTV silicone and then a 2 part resin that
sets in about 7 minutes. It's all RTV so I don't need any heat or special
equipment. My main problems have been getting the resin to mix correctly
(in small quantities) and to get the mold properly reachable by the
plastic. What I mean by this is if you have a deep area, (like a sword)
and you pour plastic in the crevase, the air inside will keep the plastic
from filling in. I have solved this by cutting the mold along a different
axis so I bisect these deep areas. I don't think doing the infantry type
Epic is really feasible but the Titans should be much easier. Hope this helps!
RTV=Room Temperature Vulcanizing: english translation=hardens at room
temperature without extra heat or chemical processes

btw, if you look at my gw page it now has substitutions for epic (yeah!!!!)

David Koontz
koontz_at_...
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/6272
"I find your lack of faith disturbing" -Vader