Re: [Epic] [E40k] Some Observations

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 20:25:10 -0700

J. Michael Looney wrote:

> Alan Brain wrote:
> >
> > There appear to be a number of ... differences ... between E40K and Epic
> > that may cause a few changes in tactics.
>
> Yeah, Epic 40,000 makes you use something like real world command arms
> tactics.

Agree.

> I think your something is odd with your math, as I have had my sheild
> striped by less than 48 ork vechices.

48 Ork Vehicles = 48 FP. Vs a Moving Titan, this means 36 shots. Each
shot
has a 1/6 chance of taking down a void shiled (hits on a 6). Thus for
6 shields you need 36 shots on average.
Of course, the dice means your mileage may vary... 8 Ork Tanks will do
it
1 time in 46,656. But 47 tanks will do it less than 1 time in 2.

> Wait a min here. Those 2 factors are self cancelling. 1 in 6 shots
> missed the field. Now 1 (more) in 6 effects the field. This works out
> BETTER for the gargant, not to mention that on the average a Great
> Gargant has 10 shields, vs 6 for a warlord.

Not as such. Because the 1/6 that missed the field didn't take a field
down
when it happens. All that happens is that the damage occurs earlier
rather
than later. Vs a Gargant with 10 shields under 2nd edition, hit it with
12 shots
and On Average You'll do 2 hits and take down all 10 shields. Exactly
the same
as if it had 10 void shields. The big advantage with void shields is
their
repair capability, so if the 12 shots was spread over 2 turns, on Turn 1
all
shields would be down, but no internals. In turn 2, 3 of the shields are
back,
so 3 hits get through.

Now, it takes 36 dice (on average) to take down the shields of a
Warlord.
In one turn, as they come back up again PDQ. But only 30 to take down
the
shields of a 10-Shield Gargant, and they don't come back up. A BIG
difference.

OTOH it takes 6 LRs to strip a Warlord, or 10 vs a 10-Shield Gargant.

> .... That works out to a 93% chance of a kill vs a Engine of Vaul,
> and that ignores the fact that only 1 in 36 critical hits against a EoV
> does +0 extra hits. Even if you don't make it go boom you will kill it
> with staight damage. On the average a no Boom bit will cause 1.2 points
> of extra damage. This works out to 6.6 points of damage, assuming that
> you have some how managed to miss doing a catastrophic hit. A EoV only
> has 4 points. It's dead Jim.

So when are you going to hit it? It can reasonably be expected to always
be doing a Pop-Up, so is not in LOS until it fires. Being a War Engine,
it
fires after all of your vehicles etc. So you can't fire at it at all,
unless
you're using a War Engine. And Deathstrikes aren't on War Engines.
Naturally if you have LOS, well and good. But this is about as likely as
an
Imperial Guard player using his unfired Deathstrike launchers to assault
with,
ie Not Very.

> A Lord of Battle, on the other hand only has a 3 in 36 chance per hit of
> going boom. This works out to 75% chance of it NOT going boom after 3
> critical hits.

It's not the Crits, it's the 3 lots of extra damage that do it, as you
so
rightly pointed out. 93% plus Pk seems pretty good...

> Vs a Dominatrix...
> Well, lets not forget that 1/2 of all hit on this evil thing are ignored
> (4+ save), so we are looking at 1.5 hits here. Ok, we have a 1/36
> chance of a SSK. That works out to about a 5% chance of a catastrophic,
> after taking the save into effect. Extra damage is 2.6 on the average,
> so that works out to 5.4 points of damage per missile hit. Its not
> dead, its pissed and it's coming this way Jim....

Yes, you're right, you need 2 per Dominatrix.

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture