Re: [Epic] Knight units in E40K

From: Paul Tobia <heresy_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:00:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Mark A Shieh wrote:

> > > get shot at with large guns with large save modifier in Epic 2nd
> > > edition can turn into a War Engine with 6+ armor and 4DC, a unit with
> > > a 2+ save, unmodifiable from the front, put in a similar role, should
> > > be more durable?
> >
> > A valid point, but I still think Knights should be kept on the level of
> > MBTs and not WEs. Perhaps add a Save to the Heavy Knights in addition to
> > the 6+ armor of the other Knights.
>
> The two together give it the sort of durability I'm looking
> for (on the two). Clearly more than an MBT, though less than a scout
> titan.

As you can see from my latest ramblings I gave the Heavys no save but a
cost of 55pts. With the save they'd have to be 60pts. minimum.

> Well, it could go either way. They definitely don't deserve a
> 6+ armor and a save. But I'm still trying to figure out which one is
> more convenient... No save so you don't have to roll as many dice, or
> a save so that all Knights have saves and you don't have to
> remember...

Personally I'm going for 6+ Armor, no Save but fairly cheap (at least the
cost of a Leman Russ). I can still be swayed to put in the Saces but the
points will _have_ to go up.

> Ah! I'm remembering incorrectly here. They didn't get Titan
> BGs, but they did get Titans. I had remembered that they didn't get
> either. Also, with the muddling of IG, TG, and SM into one army now,
> allied armies are going to be much more common (We considered it
> unfair to field an IG/SM army when the rest of the players were
> fielding Eldar, Ork, or Squat armies. 'course, this didn't stop the
> Chaos player from fielding Titan BGs)

>From the TL Codex Titanicus:
        "Your Knight army represents a part of the contingents of Knights
on crusade with a Titan Legion. The Knight army may comprise Knights,
Tech-Guard, and Titans. You can also incluse allies from the Imperial
Guard, Space Marines, and Squats." (p. 104)

Paul R. Tobia _O_
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon |
full of tapes hurtling down the highway." (Tanenbaum,1996)
ptobia_at_... http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~heresy