Re: [Epic] Redemption (was) Old Epic

From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 15:05:39 -0700

Re: Redemption, the Epic Computer Game
>Yup, we're still doing it. At this point, the working title is
>"Redemption." The old version that you saw was probably the real-time
>version of the game - and yeah, it wasn't all that hot. What we've got now
>is in 16-bit color (looks a heck of a lot better), and is phase based. If
>you're familiar with any of our other games, you can start by thinking of
>an Epic version of Steel Panthers...
>
>'Skinda based on both. We started off the project with the 2nd edition,
>but since then, 40K has come out. I'd love to get some feedback from
>people, but I don't want to flood the newsgroup with this.

Ghad! You should have asked us earlier, before it was already late into
the design stage. Are you still able to make major changes or is too late
for that?

>>> (really, orks vs. imperial guard, are they trying to be trite?)

>There are Ultramarines, too. Hey - worked in Battle for Armageddon...

Yeah, and it worked for Warcraft as well, unfortunately. I'm afraid that I
can almost already see that it's going to get pegged as Warcraft in the
future, just not real time, and hence not as exciting to most computer
gamers (and magazine reviewers). I personally don't mind the non-real time
part, but the fact that it's Orks vs. Humans will instantly create the
impression in most people's minds that it is supposed to be like Warcraft
and that could be a problem. Besides, like someone else mentioned, part of
the fun of it would be getting to use the armies we play the tabletop game
with, and it really is disappointing not to find any of my armies from Epic
represented (Eldar, Knights, and formerly Chaos).

Could you give us a brief summary of some of the key features of the game,
and things that you think we would be interested in about the game? I'm
sure almost everyone here would be more than happy to provide feedback.
(You don't have to bother if this would take too much time I suppose)

Mike the Liu