Re: [Epic] Chat line mailing list

From: DLIL-Lewiston, Kris <ponchoc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:07:49 -0500

duckrvr_at_... wrote:

> At 05:08 AM 4/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >I have to agree, with all but one point, SEALs are trained not only to
> >break things, but also to kill things quietly and effeciently. I have
> >been in bars where other military people got up to give the SEALs seats,
> >it impressed the hell out of me.
>
> Okay, yeah, they are supposed to kill folks, too. I've never seen anyone
> get up to give a SEAL a seat, and I know I wouldn't. I've only met a
> handful of them, but they are just like most military guys - there are good
> ones and those who slipped through the cracks. One thing most people don't
> know is that yes, they get sent to all these different schools, but they
> only have to actually complete a few of them. For example, I think they
> have to complete 2 of the five jumps at jump school. Yippee. Also, the
> highest rate of washouts at Marine sniper school is Navy SEALS. They can
> get into the program easily, but they are all cowboys or cowboy wannabes
> (not that that makes them bad guys) and don't have the particular kind of
> discipline it takes to complete that training. Oh, yeah, my infantry
> reserve unit was supposed to cross train with some of them to teach them
> mortar techniques. They got called away to do something else, but it was
> actually printed on the official training schedule. So obviously they are
> not gods among men.
>
> Temp

No argument there, most of the schools they go through are for
generalization training. They have to go into most of the schools on the
US military for a while. SEALs have to be cross trained to do just about
everything but only do 2 of those things well. And going through 3 1/2
years of training is a drag.

Poncho Caine (Eldar Farseer)
(a.k.a. Kris Lewison)