Re: [Epic] Chat line mailing list

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 01:19:21 -0500

At 05:08 AM 4/23/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I have to agree, with all but one point, SEALs are trained not only to
>break things, but also to kill things quietly and effeciently. I have
>been in bars where other military people got up to give the SEALs seats,
>it impressed the hell out of me.

Okay, yeah, they are supposed to kill folks, too. I've never seen anyone
get up to give a SEAL a seat, and I know I wouldn't. I've only met a
handful of them, but they are just like most military guys - there are good
ones and those who slipped through the cracks. One thing most people don't
know is that yes, they get sent to all these different schools, but they
only have to actually complete a few of them. For example, I think they
have to complete 2 of the five jumps at jump school. Yippee. Also, the
highest rate of washouts at Marine sniper school is Navy SEALS. They can
get into the program easily, but they are all cowboys or cowboy wannabes
(not that that makes them bad guys) and don't have the particular kind of
discipline it takes to complete that training. Oh, yeah, my infantry
reserve unit was supposed to cross train with some of them to teach them
mortar techniques. They got called away to do something else, but it was
actually printed on the official training schedule. So obviously they are
not gods among men.

Temp