Re: [Epic] Tyrannid question

From: Jay Whalen <lord13_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 13:50:55 -0400

Yeah, the Wheel of Life Space Marine chapter has fought an engagement
against a Dom. The Battle went as follows. The dom. and her brood
consisting of two Hive Tyrants and an assortment of other buggy stuff (1000
pts total) where doing a fast assault against the outpost of Freese's
Folly. A single river lay between the bugs and the Marines and the only
other way around was a long run around a lake. One bridge crossed the
river and it was her that the primary battle occurred. The Marines where
fortified behind buildings and small copses of trees, there forces at first
consisting of a Detachment of TEN land raiders. and two Warhounds. The
infantry detachment was as yet en route. The first turn the bugs split up
with one detachment using the dense forests around Freese' Folly to run
around behind the lake to attack a Warhound and Five Land raiders. One of
the buggy things acutely assaulted the leading LR. and destroyed it before
the combined firepower of the Warhound and the rest of the land raider
wiped it out. The Intent of the Bugs was clear, to obtain the Biomass
dwelling within the outpost.
        The other detachment consisting of The Dom. and a hive tyrant and other
buggy things held back in the ancient ruins bidding their time.

        On turn two when my infantry detachment arrived they were hit hard by a
big buggy flying thing and its foul offspring the Gargoyles. A squad of Sm
bite the dust but not before taking out a misguided gargoyl squad.

        The Dom now made her move and charged into Assault my Warhound the ,Rat
Ogre, at first the Dom was hurt as her back gun had been disabled by a
lucky shot from a LR. the first exchange was pretty even with my WH loosing
its Vs's and taking a wound the ensuing fire-fight caused several more
wounds to the Dom. The next turn was not as kind as the Dom destroyed the
WH in ht. the ensuing explosions cased no wounds to the dom.
        By this time my land raiders and the Warhound Planticus had finished
cleansing their bugs and turned to focus fire upon the Dom.
        The surviving WH opened up on the Dom wounding her as the LR took out two
anti tank bugs. The Dom returned fire to the WH and a mighty blast from
its dorsal cannon ended the long career of the Planticus.
        The terminator det of two squads opened up on the dom and (rolled 3 6's)
the Dom shrugged this off as the rest of the Marine infantry took cover in
the Hospital. To cover their retreat the three remaining LR opened up on
the Dom.
and destroyed the abomination with three direct hits.
        The remaining Bug a Hive tyrant went furious at the destruction of its
mate. and assaulted the sheltering infantry. It leaped to the hospital roof
and then assaulted the Sm consisting of 1 unit of regs and 1 unit of dev.
It failed to do any damage before the fire-fight blew it off the building
and sent it hurtling to the ground far below.

Results: Bugs 1 big flyer and 2 gargoyles
         Sm Three LR , 1dev sq 1reg sq 1 capt.

A very narrow victory for the Wheel of Life.