Re: [Epic] [E40K] Imperial fliers

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 18:28:35 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 25-Apr-97 Re: [Epic] [E40K] Imperial .. by "James
Flowers"_at_....n
> >> THawks ARE Marine Flyers on the Marine reference sheet, ergo if a
> >> flight of THawks is taken there is NO drop in Strategy rating.
> >> (Unless of course you take Titan Legion or Imperial Guard allies.)
> >> That'll be why nobody has brought it up ;)
> >
> > Stephen Sheldon wrote <sheldona_at_...>:
> > It explicitly states in the armies book that you do have an initiative
> > drop if you take T-hawks.
> > Steve
>
> And to qualify Stephen's statement...you purchase Thunderhawks as an
> Imperial Navy Detachment, not a Space Marine Navy Detachment. Thus the
> Initiative drop...

To Stephen and James: Huh?

You purchase Imperial flyers as part of an "Imperial Air detachment."
This has, in and of itself, no inherent gain or loss of strategy rating,
as far as I can tell; it doesn't differentiate between the Marine and
Guard units. So you need to look in the unit descriptions, or in the
summary on pp. 30-31. The only flyers in the Imperial Navy are
Thunderbolts and Marauders; Thunderhawks are listed under Space Marines,
not the Guard.

So T-Hawks do not imply a strategy loss for Marines; indeed, taking
T-hawks (as gun platforms) seems to be a viable way for Guard commanders
to *boost* their strategy rating....

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...