Re: [Epic] Chaos Players...Please Help

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 14:00:52 GMT

At 07:54 PM 29/4/97 EDT, you wrote:
>Well, by my posts so far you can probably tell that I am having a lot of
>difficulty designing an effective chaos horde. I usually play against a
>very shooty IG/SM mix (good tanks and artillery with marine terminators
>and devastators). I can field almost any chaos unit or renegade IG ally.
>Does anyone have an idea for a successful chaos horde. I need to design
>one that is 5000 points but I barely know where to begin. My first
>attempt seemed to get shot too much before reaching the opponent. I know
>that I definately want to use a lord of Battles (he looks very cool) but
>other than that I am very flexible. Please let me know if you have any
>ideas or send me an army list if you have come up with a 5000 point army
>that seems to be effective. Thanks in advance.
>
> Adam Blitzer

OK Adam, try this (for a start...)

Lord Of Battles 500
4x Bloodletters 600 = 1100

Angron 300
3x Cannons of Khorne 600 = 900

Mortarian 300
Space Marine Legion 500
3x Rhinos 150 = 950

Magnus the Red 300
Space Marine Legion 500
3x Rhinos 150 = 950

Keeper of Secrets 300
5x Fiends 250 = 550

Keeper of Secrets 300
5x Fiends 250 = 550

I have thrown in lots of firepower (two legions, the LOB and nine Cannons of
Khorne) and enough close assault troops to (probably) get there and do the
damage.

I would use some fiends to take and hold the objectives on your side of the
board, and charge the rest of the daemons across the table in the usual
chaos way. The rhinos charge with two detatchments of each legion on
advance and one on charge. (A couple of detachments on charge might be
handy if you win initiative...) The marines on advance can travel up to
40cm toward the enemy and then pile out and open fire. The LOB advances and
opens fire. The Cannons open fire and if he hasn't come forward to where
your daemons can get at him, he will be clustered so that the cannons will
inflict heavy casualties (remember that the cannon of khorne template only
has to touch a target to attack it).

In turn two, the two rhinos with marines on charge will give him something
to think about. (Ten marines with +3 CAF and some chaos cards to back them
up are no small thing, nor is Nurgle's Rot, and of course a vortex missile
is not to be sneared at...) Also the rhinos that dumped troops the turn
before are entitled to charge in support of the others...

Turns two and three the bloodletters will take and hold the objectives in
the middle board and possibly on your enemies side.

Turn three the fiends will arrive, and if you haven't won by now you've
probably lost.

(I haven't even considered the damage that the other greater daemons and
primarchs will inflict, or the fire that they will draw...)

Hope this helps

Agro