Re: [Epic] 40K/IG infantry Detachments

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 11:15:27 -0400 (EDT)

>> Try seeing the rule like this: units moving in the assault phase cannot
>> ignore enemy units which they could charge (have enough movement for it)
>> for other enemy units farther away.
>> Ex:
>> a bike detachment moves 35 cm in the assault phase. It has enemies
>> within 10 cm and 25 cm. They cannot charge the ones within 25 cm ignoring
>> those within 10cm.
>
> I forget... Can they send half the detachment at the
>detachment 10cm away, and then engage the other detachment with the
>other half of the detachment?

Yes. The "moving past" rules are actually applied to units, not whole
detatchments. You are free to split up the units in a detatchment and
move them about as you like, as long as you obey the HQ rules (so
moving out of the 30 cm command range would be a bad idea). Thus, if
someone had a detatchement with some gretchin in front of some nobz,
you would have to engage the gretchin with at least one unit each
before any other units could move past them. The same would be true
if the gretchin and nobz were in different detatchments.

So basically, detatchment structure is not relavent when moving stands
into CC, only the relative positions of enemy stands to the individual
stand that is moving. (Though, of course, detachment structures are
important for command and control and resolving the CCs, just not for
the determination of "moving past enemy units").

I hope this didn't add to the confusion.

David