Re: [Epic] Artillery (Was: Hmmm... SM or IG?)

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 11:11:40 -0400 (EDT)

Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...> writes:
> Alan Brain wrote:
> Oh, something I left out of my earlier comments
> post - why is heavy barrage better than a normal barrage?
> You get the same total FP (unless the game lasts an odd
> number of turns), but you can't keep the pressure on enemy
> dets constant. ie, one turn you barrage them to hell, the
> next turn they escape relatively unscathed. This question
> doens't apply to WEs with heavy barrages, of course.

        Well, I like them because they fired every other turn in
SM/TL. So keeping that part of the game was nice to see... Also, it
makes them less vulnerable. If a piece of Heavy Arty dies right after
they shoot on turn 1, they fired twice as much as a piece of normal
Arty that dies right after they shoot on turn 1. So you're getting
the same amount of firepower, but you're effectively getting half of
it a turn earlier.
        You can also time it so that the Heavy Arty fires during the
movement phase of the turn that your assault detachment is going to
hit them. If you had just been barraging them with Arty the entire
time, they'll have more time to pull off BMs before your assault
detachment hits them. Just because you *can* fire this turn doesn't
necessarily mean that you have to, if you feel that they aren't in
danger this turn.

Mark