[Epic] The Challenge Of Epic WH

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 20:45:15 +0100

> >If you are truly insane, you'll make an Epic scale Warhammer Fantasy Army.
>
> Um, GW is supposed to be working on that.

Allegedly, but givn that WH40k is a skirmish game grown too big for it's
own boots, an "epic" wargame on the same theme fits into the family tree
nicely. But GW market WH as a "wargame" (although we true wargamers
know that this is cobblers) and accordingly an epic WH game doesn't fit
alongside its 25mm brother particularly easily.

If you have the choice, would you spend hundreds of pounds / dollars on
25mm figures for a fantasy wargames army by GW in 25mm, or have the same
force in 6mm for tens of pounds / dollars? You're not daft - neither is
GW. They will tread warily before releasing a product which may end up
competing directly with WH.

And E40k (and SM before it) is drawing on a long tradition of 1/300
scale tank games - WWII, WWIII etc. In addition to the appeal of
playing with little tanks that seems to strike a chord with so many
(tanks have never really appealed to so many on OO/HO scale, 15mm or
25mm) there is also the appeal of the big war engines (copying, sorry
"borrowing" from the likes of battlemech).

So I think Epic Warhamer is a project more likely to be talked about
than actually produced. But if GW think the demand is there WITHOUT
harming sales of WH, they'll make up their own minds without checking
with me first!

Richard