Re: [Epic] rebasing - is it necessary?

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 20:24:28 +0100

Andy Meechan wrote:

> Is rebasing necessary?
>
> Not really.
>
> The square base means more stands can squeeze in behind cover than
> with the long base. However you *can* fit more of them under a barrage
> template if they're all bunched up. But you don't have to bunch them
> up...

> -Andy-

This is a finely balanced matter. At first, I thought "new = good for
barrages, bad for cover" and the converse for the old bases.

Aesthetically speaking, the old bases suck (IMNSHO, of course) and the
new bases are better. It is also easier to paint up the figures on the
bases.

If your enemy was using a lot of barrage weapons, the old bases suck.

If there are a lot of buildings and other cover, the old bases are
better to take advantage of the cover.

But the new bases can form unbroken lines of opposition to screen other
detachments from close combat or to prevent the opposing force from
moving into a certain position, until gaps are opened by shooting or
they are smashed themselves in close combat or firefights. It is not so
easy to do this with the old bases.

So overall, I prefer the new.

I will use the new bases for all infantry currently in production or
that I buy in future.

However, I will not rebase ANY of my old troops. They still have a part
to play, quite apart from the phenomenal effort involved in rebasing
properly.

Richard