Re: [Epic] any one out there?

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 00:42:36 -0500

At 11:36 AM 5/5/97 -0400, you wrote:

>> Cultural contexts, Existential debates, Poetic structure, and Man's place in
>> the universe . . . That's what fascinates me.
>
>Sounds interesting, but can you make enough to buy your miniatures? ^_-
> Especially if you play more than one system?

So far . . .

>> Polymer Chemistry, Quantum Mechanics, Plant design and (especially) Control
>> Systems (for chemical engineering) are just plain fiddly.
>
>How's about papers due in Processing Methods (of materials), Properties
>of Ceramics and Glasses, and Selection and Performance of Materials?

No, thanks. Gone are the days when I had to worry about distillation
columns and theoretical plates, thermodynamics and fugacity and graphs and
charts used to convert theory to practicality.

BTW, is most engineering like chemical? 1) Build a theoretical model and
write a formula. 2) Move all the controllable/measurable variables to one
side. 3) compress all the unmeasurable/uncontrollable factors into one
variable (let's call it "beta" this time). 4) Go to the lab and crunch out
a truck load of graphs for different materials that can be used to estimate
beta.

My impression is that EE is rather precise by these standards, but it's got
a ton of truly fiddly math. ME and CE seem to be very Newtonian. I think
it's just because molecules are so darn recalcitrant . . .

Temp