Re: [Epic] Space Marine Chapters

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 15:34:44 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 5-May-97 Re: [Epic] Space Marine Cha.. by David
Lado_at_...
> Actually, if you get a chance to play the boardgame "Battle for Armagedon",
> you can get a feel for the fluff of the SMs. At the height of the battle,
> the IG may have about 30 regiment sized units representing militia, regular,
> and armor units as well as a few specialized units, such as a titan legion
> and assault regiment.

...If you keep those two alive. They're kinda hard to rebuild.... ^_^;;

>During the game, 3 legions of SMs arrive, each
> represented by a single counter. Their stats are good, but they are not
> even the best in the IG army.

Um... beg y'pardon? IIRC, the only unit which beats the Marines on a
one-to-one basis is the Titan Legion. The first tank division has the
same attack, and ahe Assault regiment has a better attack but piddly
defense. Now, combined IG counters can certainly do better, but then
all three Marine chapters together are *really* stompy....

> The result actually follows the feel of the fluff rather well. Even though
> the marines add nothing in terms of numbers (3 units here or there doesn't
> make a difference), and their stats are not spectacular (though they are
> good), they still have a tremendous impact (plus, their commander kicks ass).

Re-rolls, huzzah! ^_-

> They have enough offensive punch to break through the enemy lines and
> enough defensive power to hold the line, and their excellent speed means
> you will find some marines at the front of every IG offensive. So you
> end up with a situation quite like the e40k fluff, with a small bunch
> of marines that seem to find themselves in the midst of every important
> battle on the front. Likewise, you never see them operating on their own,
> since you always want IG units around to bolster their numbers and soak up
> casualties.

Very, very true.

> I'm not saying it's realistic, but the fluff is internally consistent with
> the kind of "grand strategy" concieved of in the game.

Yup.

Actually, the thing that recently annoyed me... I read the "Battle for
Armageddon" blurb in the Army book (pp.42-43), and von Strab has become
an "overconfident Planetary Governor" instead of the bumbling moron he
was originally. <sigh> At least the three Marine chapters are still the
same, unlike their near-constant revision of who was with the Emperor
when he fought Horus....

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...