Re: [Epic] Space Marine Chapters

From: sauron1 <sauron1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 05:15:51 -0700

Aaron P Teske wrote:

> Excerpts from Epic: 5-May-97 Re: [Epic] Space Marine Cha.. by David
> Lado_at_...
> > Actually, if you get a chance to play the boardgame "Battle for Armagedon",
> > you can get a feel for the fluff of the SMs. At the height of the battle,
> > the IG may have about 30 regiment sized units representing militia, regular,
> > and armor units as well as a few specialized units, such as a titan legion
> > and assault regiment.
>
> ...If you keep those two alive. They're kinda hard to rebuild.... ^_^;;
>
> >During the game, 3 legions of SMs arrive, each
> > represented by a single counter. Their stats are good, but they are not
> > even the best in the IG army.
>
> Um... beg y'pardon? IIRC, the only unit which beats the Marines on a
> one-to-one basis is the Titan Legion. The first tank division has the
> same attack, and ahe Assault regiment has a better attack but piddly
> defense. Now, combined IG counters can certainly do better, but then
> all three Marine chapters together are *really* stompy....
>
> > The result actually follows the feel of the fluff rather well. Even though
> > the marines add nothing in terms of numbers (3 units here or there doesn't
> > make a difference), and their stats are not spectacular (though they are
> > good), they still have a tremendous impact (plus, their commander kicks ass).
>
> Re-rolls, huzzah! ^_-
>
> > They have enough offensive punch to break through the enemy lines and
> > enough defensive power to hold the line, and their excellent speed means
> > you will find some marines at the front of every IG offensive. So you
> > end up with a situation quite like the e40k fluff, with a small bunch
> > of marines that seem to find themselves in the midst of every important
> > battle on the front. Likewise, you never see them operating on their own,
> > since you always want IG units around to bolster their numbers and soak up
> > casualties.
>
> Very, very true.
>
> > I'm not saying it's realistic, but the fluff is internally consistent with
> > the kind of "grand strategy" concieved of in the game.
>
> Yup.
>
> Actually, the thing that recently annoyed me... I read the "Battle for
> Armageddon" blurb in the Army book (pp.42-43), and von Strab has become
> an "overconfident Planetary Governor" instead of the bumbling moron he
> was originally. <sigh> At least the three Marine chapters are still the
> same, unlike their near-constant revision of who was with the Emperor
> when he fought Horus....
>
> Aaron Teske
> Mithramuse+_at_...

Sauron writes:Having been around for a while and being into Titans since
Adeptus Titanicus1988,AT says an Elite company of Adeptus Custodes and
assault troops of Imperial Fists. Codex Titanicus 1989 is mute on the
subject.SM one1989 says the same on page 7 but in a story beside a
picture of Rogul Dorn on page23 the Emporer commands him to acompany him
to horus's barge. Version 2 of SM 1991 ignores the whole thing.Renegades
1992 pg60 says the Emporer teleportted aboard with two of the remaining
Primarchs and a guard of terminator space marines. Who to beleave?
        sauron1