Re: [Epic] Space Marine Chapters

From: Elias Tiliakos <elite_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 May 97 22:59:00 EST

>No word on what happened to Dorn in the end, though.
>
> Aaron Teske
> Mithramuse+_at_...

All this talk about ancient history (at least 40K wise) is great.
I love the atmosphere that it produces for the games. I was
wondering what books available are best for background "fluff".
I know what happened to some of the Primarchs (mostly the ones
that turned to Chaos and Sanguinius), but not a whole lot about
the rest. Can anybody fill me in or recommend some good reading?

Also, has anyone thought about expanding upon the history that
already exists, maybe make a campaign based around the "newly
created" history? Something I was intrigued with was the mention
of the marines' previous "gigantic" stature. Another point that
caught my attention was the fact that at the moment, the Imperium
seems to be in a "holding pattern" of sorts, just trying to stay
in existence, not really expanding as the Imperium of tem millenia
gone. The space marines have been reduced to protecting what worlds
already exist, and thoughts of conquest seem to have been driven
from the minds of those in command. The techpriests on Mars
are restricted to "old" technology; have research efforts been
completely abandonded? It seems like the Imperium should have
been able to recover its former strength. Ten thousand years
is quite a long time, no?

Maybe it is time for a new messiah, as the Emperor was in his
more mortal days. I can just hear the tramp of millions of
booted (and power armored, though significantly fewer :) ) feet
headed off to conquest now.

Elias