Re: [Epic][E40k] Campaign Ideas

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 22:08:45 -0500

At 09:28 AM 5/8/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Attack on first line of resistance succeeds, forces of the third
>Tyranid Reich are driven back. Attack on second line of resistance
>fails, forces retreat to first line of resistance.
>Attack on third line of resistance succeeds. Forces are then
>counter-attacked on the next turn and destroyed while isolated.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you attack a territory that would
leave you isolated, and lose? Are you completely wiped out because you
can't retreat? Would troops dropped into such a situation have any
additional morale to reflect the fact that it is a "do or die" situation (or
maybe more accurately, they would take smaller penalties to their morale for
casualties)? Frex, Marines in drop pods going deep into enemy territory
would know their only chance to live is to fight their way to the supply
line that is (hopefully) trying to meet up with them. The fact is that
troops in these situations know they are going to die if they lose, so there
is no incentive for them to ever give up. Just to give an example, during
the Persian Gulf War the Iraqis spread propoganda that the U.S. Marines were
all convicted of murdering family members and they tortured their POWs. As
a result, when some of the soldiers found out they were surrendering to a
Marine unit (a friend of mine was there), they tried to start fighting.
Fortunately, the position the Marines had taken allowed them to quickly
quell the "insurrection." But my point is that desperate people can do
great things.

Temp