Re: [Epic][E40k] Campaign Ideas

From: Sean Smith <seans_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 08:02:46 +1300

On Fri 09 May, Erik Rutins wrote:

> > 1) Aircraft can fly recon missions. but enemy aircraft detachments
> > ever territory they fly over may intercept them, as per the rules
> > in Epic 40K. No friendly aircraft may come to aid of aircraft flying
> > recon missions, by attempting to intercept enemy aircraft that are
> > intercepting the aircraft flying a recon mission.
>
> What did you think of the idea I wrote up about comparing intercept
> values + d6 to see if a successful intercept had taken place? If you
> allow everyone in a territory to intercept, it can quiclky become
> suicidal to fly recon missions, IMHO. I think each detachment should
> be resolved independently too, so no help from friendlies - but also, I
> think intercepts should only be able to occur over your territories.

I personally prefer my suggestion, it means that deep recon is risky
(as it should be) and keeps the game simple. Also note that more than
one aircraft detachment can combine to fly a single recon mission.

> > 2)The recon mission may only be shot by flak in the territory they
> are scouting, as they otherwise will be flying too high and fast
      to be targeted. Use the normal rules to resolve this.

> This seems to also make recon very deadly. I don't think you generally
> need to get as close to take photographs as to strafe or drop bombs.
> Also, since each recon mission has a 6 on a d6 chance of
> spotting/scouting an enemy detachment, I think each detachment should
> also have a 1 in 6 chance of spotting them and trying to blow them out
> of the sky. If you let every detachment fire at every recon flight
> with all guns, where's the reason to fly recon?

I agree with you about AA.

> > 2)Air detachment may fly only one mission a recon mission or
> interception mission (attempting intercept enemy recon
     aircraft) each turn. Flying a recon or interception mission
     means an aircraft detachment inavailable battlefield ground
     support or interception mission later in the same turn.

> I was also thinking along these lines - declare the missions, use 'em,
> that's it for the turn.
>
> > 3)The only limit to the number of recon missions that maybe flown is
> the number of aircraft detachments a side has.
>
> I originally put a limit of three recons per territory just to make it
> possible that you wouldn't spot everything in a territory. However, as
> I re-think it this probably won't be too much of a problem with a 1 in
> 6 chance of successful recon. I'll revise it to your suggestion.
>
> > 4)When a aircraft is in the territory that it wishs to recon roll a
> 1d6 for every enemy detachment in the territory. On roll of 1 a
      detachment must fully reveal its composition, on a roll of 2 a
      detachment only reveals what warengines (if any) are in the
      detachment, the type and the number of each type.

> I originally thought 1d6 for each recon flight, but I like the way this
> makes it easier to recon based on troop density in a territory. So, 1
> in 6 chance per detachment, per recon flight. 1 in 3 chance to
> discover war engines. This seems good, but I'm a bit concerned that
> with unlimited recon flights it'll be easy to scout everything out...
> we'll use your suggestion and playtest it to see how it works for now.
> We can always fine-tune it, but I like the 1 die per detachment.

I would modify this by adding that "you can't recon more detachments
than the number of recon aircraft you have left in a territory,
after all interception and AA firing as been resolved".

e.g If you only have 3 recnnning aircraft left in a territory and
there are six detachments in the territory, then only 3 of the
six detachments can be reconned.

> > 5)Treat transport missions in the same way as recon missions.
>
> Here again, if you use all of your suggestions, transport missions
> would be suicide (IMHO). The intercept and flak rules need to be a bit
> less deadly to make any of this strategically worthwhile. I was also
> planning to allow an intercept mission to escort a transport mission.
> This would mean that when the enemy declared an intercept with two
> detachments, you could peel off your escort and fight it out with one
> of the intercepting detachments.
> Only one would hit the transport detachment. Arguably, you could
   escort with as many detachments as you like, but they would not be
   eligible for any other missions that turn (including normal intercepts).

I agree with the idea of allowing detachments be allowed to escort
transport missions, I suggest allowing the same with recon missions.
I also agree with your suggestion about AA.

It is becoming very hard to keep track of revisions etc. Why don't
you put a revised set of rules on the net, with notes * beside the
points we disagree about.

--
 Sean Smith

 Home - Seans_at_...