Re: [Epic][E40k] Campaign Ideas

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 21:42:48 -0500

At 08:48 PM 5/8/97 +1300, you wrote:

>> Okay, I was thinking of things in a fairly abstract manner for the
>> whole campaign system. Assume territories 1-9 are for player 1, A-I
>> are for player 2. Here would be the arrangement:
>>
>> 147ADG
>> 258BEH
>> 369CFI

>Yep, thats very clear thanks! I may need to make the map like deeper though,
>or the campaign maybe over very quick.

What if you have more than 2 players? I'd like to see some ideas on a
league-style campaign. Personally, I don't like the idea of having to keep
track of which unit is where. It will get endlessly complicated in
multiplayer games. It would be okay for a friendly group, but
unfortunately, I've seen very few leagues where the games were entirely
friendly (usually there are at least 1 or 2 folks who get personal). I also
suspect that with the influx of younger (less mature) players the trend will
only get worse.

I also don't see much incentive to taking territory. You get a point or
two, but you spread your forces quickly. I think you could sit back and
wait on your opponent to attack you. The majority of your forces could be
placed on your line, with a couple in reserve (in, say, territoy 5) or in
drop pods to counter him if he comes in that way. I believe it would be
possible to counter any attack he could muster without crippling himself
somewhere. With a reasonable reserve in #5 you could bring 80% of your
forces against any territory he attacked. Frex, if he attacked #9, you
could counter with forces from #5, #8, air cover, and drop pods. Then
during your turn, "reset" your defenders to their appropriate positions, or
if he has overextended, counter attack. Even if he did succeed in taking
the territory, you would likely wipe out a detachment if you concentrated on
it, which would eliminate the points he got for taking the territory AND
keep him from building experience.

One last observation, I would think that huge detachments would be the say
to go for efficiency of response. Since you can only move about 5
detachments, it would be wise to have gigantic detachments. Sure you lose
some battlefield mobility, but 4 500pt detachments are likely to defeat 6
250 point detachments regardless of the battlefield mobility.

I'm not raggin on you, just pointing out what seem to be flaws. I certainly
haven't bothered to come up with any rules.

Temp