Re: [Epic] Space Marine Chapters

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 18:58:25 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 8-May-97 Re: [Epic] Space Marine Cha.. by
PAspin3551_at_...
> Not arguing the physics, but if the imperium is so large why are there so
> many bad areas?
>
> i.e. Eldar in the east, tyranids to the SE, Spirit guys to the west, orcs
> everywhere, squats in the middle...

Just to nitpick, the Eldar are spread all over the place in their
craftworlds. The Eye of Terror (ex-Eldar territory) lies in Segmentum
Obscurus to the north and west, I believe. (Direction relative to
Terra.) The Orks are also everywhere, but are primarily concentrated in
the Wheel of Fire in the north-east (just north of the galaxy center).
And I'd hardly call the Squat Homeworlds a "bad area." ^_-

Spirit guys?

> Or perhaps they just claim the territory but dont actually control it?

That's nore or less the case. The Imperium subdivides all the inhabited
stars into sectors of 2 to 8 stars that are a given patrol fleet's
route, but they don't really care about the uninhabited stars or the
space in between. Ships will partol empty systems periodically, and
research ships wander around somewhat aimlessly since no system is ever
fully explored, but in general people stick to inhabited systems. Warp
space, assuming you have a Navigator, is a bit like Pournelle's Alderson
Drive: think of the inhabited systems like bubbles of land in the water.
 Of the seas, they know nothing....

Also, there are periodic warp storms, which block the signal from the
Astronomicron (and psychic communication in general), and of course the
Eye of Terror and Tyranid fleets are permanent/semi-permanent warp
storms.

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...