Re: [Epic] Space Marine Chapters

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 22:00:47 -0700

Sean Smith wrote:

> It would be interesting to do a comparsion of modern weapons vs Epic weapons
> e.g Titans vs modern tanks etc. What do people think?

First, how much in real terms is 15cm on the table? How long is a game
turn?

Let's see... a good rate of advance vs light resistance is 2 km/hr for
troops on foot. Who can march at 6km/hr. Therefore, 5cm per km/h is
reasonable. Marching jetbikes would then go 21 km/h. Just a tadge
slow... OK, give the marchers stimtabs, and double it, 2 1/2 cm is 1
km/h, and troops on overwatch move 2 km/h, about right.

Now for range,this depends on how long a game turn is. Assume 6 minutes.
Then 1 km would take 5 turns at 2 km/h, so 1 km = 25 cm.

So, if 1cm on the table = 40 metres, then "firefight range" = 1200
metres, rather long for modern day combat. It should be about 300
metres. So if the ground scale is 1cm = 10 metres, then 1 turn is about
1.25 minutes.
But this means an extraordinarily long range gun would have a range of 1
km! rather short. No, it's better to have 6 minute turns, 40 m per cm,
and a reasonable but shortish EFFECTIVE range of a "long gun" as being
1800-2400 metres, comparable with effective ranges of modern tanks
(which have scored occasional kills at 5km, but 98% of hits occur under
3 km)

I think the approximate 1:1000 scale is the official one (WH40K has 24"
= 15cm in E40K, and 1" = 10m) but I prefer the 1:4000 one myself.
Otherwise E2K stuff ie today's weapons, would be far too good. And fast.

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture