Re: [Epic] [E40k] Campaign Version II

From: Erik Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 22:30:18 -0400

Sean:

Thanks again for reading through the whole set and for your comments.

> I still think that aircraft detachments should be able to scout one
> detachment per aircraft remaining in the detachment, after all AA
> and interceptions have been resolved.

Okay, how would that work in this example:

4 detachments in the scouted territory.
2 aircraft in two detachments survive to the scouting rolls.

Under the current system, you would roll two dice for each detachment.

Under your system you would roll two dice for each detachment, but once
you had successfully scouted two detachments, you would not be able to
scout any more? (or would you only get to choose two of the four
detachments, then roll to see if the scouting is succesful)

> Instead of deciding who moves first, who has to declare the first
attact,
> who must decides to gets their aircraft first etc etc solely on
strategy
> rating, why not make it who rolls higher with a 1d6+strategy rating.

I was figuring that would keep it simple, but that's an equally valid
way to do it. We'll playtest both ways, certainly.

> What about some reinforcements arriving in major territories from
time
> to time? I suspect that every now and then people will have
detachments
> completely wiped out.

Well, per the experience rules, 'wiped out' doesn't mean gone. Only
isolated detachments that are defeated are actually removed from the
campaign. Wiped out detachments (but not isolated) lose experience and
give VPs to your opponent. However, they are reconstituted and still
in your army.

Nevertheless, I like the reinforcements idea. I had also been thinking
about this, but I didn't want to make things too detailed too soon. I
would _definitely_ like to add more rules like this once we balance out
the basic campaign rules. Reading over this weekend I noticed that
some typos and cut and paste errors had crept into version 2, and the
new flyers rules still need more playtesting. Version 3 (when it's
done) should be the balanced 'basic' rules. After that we can add more
flavorful stuff like this (IMHO).

> You could also have a random factor of the high command demanding you
> do such and such to reveal pressure on other sectors of the world.
Note
> I think of you campaign as being a sector of planet, rather than a
> complete world.

FANTASTIC concept/idea and I definitely want to add it, though more in
the timeframe as above. This would also have to be carefully balanced,
I think, to make sure that the campaign didn't give players too much of
a feeling of being out of control. The victory should be challenging
to earn, but not frustrating/disappointing (it is a game, after all...)
so we need to look at these carefully. A definite for the add list,
though.

> One player rolls a 1d6, next determine randomly which side is going
> receive a special order this turn. Finally the side being given a
special
> order rolls a 1d6 and consult the table below. Both sides get to know

> the result of a roll on the table below.

I'm thinking both sides should get special orders each round, rather
than just one.

> 1. The enemy has broken through in another sector, some of your
> forces are need temporaly to help stop the enemy advance.
Roll
> 1d6 per detachment, except supreme commands, on a roll of
> 1 or 2 that unit is unavaible for this turn. If you lose one
> or less territores this turn, the High Command will reward
your
> efforts by assigning 1d3 additional detachements
permanently.

Losing 1/3 of your forces for a turn seems a bit rough. I might
consider making it a 2d6 roll, and if anything like this is in there,
making it a 2 or 12 result. Also, forces would probably be pulled from
your reserve lines rather than any detachments (i.e. front line).
Probably would make more sense to say "High Command needs 10% of your
forces to stem a breakthrough for a turn. Decide which detachments to
allocate, totalling at least 10% of your points." Of course, if you
keep rolling this, you could be stemming the breakthrough for more than
one turn.

> 2. High Command thinks that this is a good sector to make push
in,
> it assigns 1+1d6 additional detachments to you for one turn
only.
> You must attack at least three territories this turn. At
least two
> of your permanet ground detachments must be involved in
every
> attack you make this turn. If you take less than two
territories,
> the High Command believes its forces can be better used by
more
> talented commanders in other sectors and you permanently
lose 1d3
> detachments (you choose which).

I like the 'push' idea. I'm starting to wonder, though, if perhaps the
scope of these random events should be smaller, but we should also give
the player a certain amount of 'pull' with the higher ups. This could
be exercised during the campaign, for instance:

You can trade VPs for influence points (IP) on a 1:1 basis.

1 IP = 1 250 point detachment from Strategic Reserve is allocated to
your sector for one turn only. It may be drop ship or airborne. If
ground based, it enters at the beginning of the turn on any friendly
territory in your second or third line of resistance and may
participate in the turn as normal.

2 IP = 1 Orbital Bombardment Priority. For a given territory on a
given turn, you are considered to have the equivalent of 4 Orbital
Bombardment Fate Cards. You may choose the territory at the beginning
of the Battles phase.

etc...

What do you think? Would you be happier with such an allocation rather
than more random determination?

> 3. High Command needs you to attack immediately to relieve
pressure
> on other sectors, it assigns you No additional troops. You
> must attack at least three sectors this turn, with at least
two
> detachments each.

Sectors means territories in this case, right? Orders like this are
more in line with what I was thinking about. In most cases you would
be doing this anyway, but it may make things more challenging, keep
defensive players from being too static.

Regards,

- Erik