Re: Daemon cavalry (prev : [Epic] more lost figs)

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 17:43:14 -0400

duckrvr_at_... wrote:

> >> Extra cost to :
> >> Upgrade to Slaneesh Steed cavalry(Rampage, Assault/Infiltrators) +3 pts per unit
>
> I assume that's supposed to be (cavalry, assault) instead of rampage on the
> steeds?

        Yeah, Oki said that was a typo.

> > Assuming +6 for calvary and +2 for skimmer (I have
> >no real justification for that, I can't think of anything
> >that could be upgraded to skimmers):
>
> I agree that skimmer should be +2, per the Daemon prince

        Ah! Forgot about the Daemon Prince. Thanks for reminding me.

> >Upgrade to Disc Riders (Calvary, Skimmer) +8 pts per unit
>
> Compared to a 15 point jetbike you get a 6+ save versus 4+,

        Which is, you have to admit, a signifigant difference.

> less fp, more
> range, and a shorter move. 23 points might be a touch expensive.

        And triple the assault value (assuming jetbikes have the
same AV as marine bikes, I'm not that familiar with the Eldar list).
Plus rapidfire, which makes up for the smaller FP when on overwatch.
The shorter speed is the only place they're really lacking.

        If Rough Riders really do only pay +2 pts for the calvary
ability (I'll have to check to make sure), than +6 is probably too
much for marines. I guess it makes sense for daemons because of
their high assault value and bigger base move, whereas RR aren't
that great in CC and can't really go that fast. Since the marines
are between the two in terms of AV and closer to the daemons, I'd
say +4 pts to give them calvary. So this would give you:

Juggers (CSMs + Calvary, Assault, Rampage) 21 pts
Disc Riders (CSMs + Calvary, Skimmer) 21 pts
Beast Riders (CSMs + Calvary, Assault) 20 pts
OR
Beast Riders (CSMs + Calvary) 19 pts (my vote)

> I think that the 19 points for juggers is WAY under valued, though.

        I don't know about 19 pts being WAY undervalued. They
can't move that fast, can't go through cover/buildings, can't
really shoot, and they're rampagers so if they lose any CCs they
get into they're dead. Fleshhounds at 16 pts move faster, have
the same assault and same (effective) armor. Sure the hounds
can't shoot, but the jugger's range of 15cm means their FP is
only going to be useful when it comes to firefights. I think
the above point values are pretty fair.

Scott
shupes_at_...