RE: [Epic] Rampage (was: got my Epic 40K)

From: Peacekeeper-� <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 22:53:42 -0400

>> To me, this seems to be really clear that any rampagers in a broken
>>=
> detachment are simply destroyed, regardless of where they were in relatio=
>>> to the combat. This seem to make the Assault Spawn a real risk to hav=
>>> around.

> It actually says the same in the rule book with the phrasi=
ng "Rampage
>units are so berserk that they may not retreat from combat. Th=
is means
>Rampage units are always caught by the enemy and destroyed if the=
y lose
>a close combat." p37 of the rule book.

> I still think that this m=
akes Rampaging units more of a liability than
>an asset. The Bugs may usual=
ly win in CC but the following fire fight will
>clear out all of those nast=
y Carnifex's and Assault Spawn with ease.

I see Gregs point on this. All =
I can say is that when I read the rules,
I got a totally different interpre=
tation. Basically, I read that "a
rampage _unit_ is automatically destroye=
d if _that unit_ lost a CC".
This made natural sense to me, since the unit =
would not retreat and
would therefore necessarily be within 15 cm of the en=
emy (and thus be
destroyed).

I see how the rule can be intrepeted such tha=
t "any rampaging unit is
destroyed if its _detachment_ loses close combat",=
 though I don't agree
with that interpretation. Basically, I took the last=
 sentence
("Rampage units are always caught...") as an example of the logic=
al out-
come of the previous rule, not as a seperate rule in its own right.=

I'm still convinced rampagers are only eliminated if they end up within
1=
5 cm of an enemy after their detachment loses CC, rather than
automatically=
. But I think it's a good one for the primarchs (Allan?)

This is how I se=
e it. The offending text(p37, rulebook) says
"Rampage units are so bezerk =
thet they may not retreat from combat. THIS MEANS Rampage units are always =
caught by the enemy and destroyed if they lose a close combat."

The first =
part says that rampage units may not retreat from combat, I think the secon=
d sentance is meant as an example. This means that when a defeated unit mak=
es a retreat move the rampagers stay put, so if they are within 15 cm of a =
enemy they die. This basicly means that if a rampager loses a close combat =
or FF it dies. (But does it get a save? I would guess so.) That is just th=
ey way it seems to be written to me.

                                        -James