Re: [Epic][E40K] Terrain (sand)

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 21:02:00 -0400 (EDT)

>Hello there,
>
> I realise this will probably be a tricky one to answer, but how
>fine iss the sand you guys mix with paint? I imagine it would have to be
>pretty fine for Epic scale. Perhaps we could liken it sugar ... is it say
>the size of coffee sugar (too big IMO), or raw sugar, or maybe salt?

I use the colored sand that you can buy in most hobby store. I get the
finest I can find, but it's still coarser than refined sugar, maybe a
little finer than can sugar.

I mix it with gesso, mostly because it never occured to me to mix it
directly into the paint (Duh!). Still, I love painting on gesso above
almost any other surface. I just like the texture and look (and, of
course, it takes the paint very well).

Actually, moving slightly off topic again, theres another neat effect
you can get with styrofoam. If you can find decent styrofoam (i.e.
the more densly packed kind), you can cut a piece out to make a rock.
You can then take a soddering iron and comb it over the rock, giving
a very nice melted/igneous rock appearance. It makes a pleasant
change from my standard smooth gray rock. This won't work very well
with the normal insulating styrofoam, since it doesn't seem as
resistant to heat (I just melted a big hole where ever the iron
touched it).

David