Re: [Epic]E40K Orks, Blood Axe Mob et al

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 11:53:37 -0700

Shayn Raney wrote:

> >1. Blitzwagons. These are Battlewagons with an FP of 2 and an AF of 1.
> >Cost 20 pts.

> I think it was deliberate that units like these were not included in
> the ork army. The whole problem is that they would be too useful
> (i.e. I'd love to have them). If you think about it, these units are
> basically vehicle-versions of shooty boyz weighing in at 3 pts less.
> The only thing they sacrifice is the +1 AV value from terrain and the
> ability to enter buildings. They gain speed, armor, and transport
> capabitity and still come out less.

Eh? Shooty Boyz cost 17 pts, ie 3 pts less, not more.Thy're also like
Flakwagons, but gain an extra 15cm of range but lose the flak ablility.
Are they able to transport as well? Good question, I'd say _NOT_ . At
least, not for 20 pts. Perhaps these should cost more, as I agree with
your reasoning regarding usefulness, reason for not being included etc.

Still, consider a Battlewagon towing Big Gunz.

> I feel the reason these units are not included in the ork army is to
> basically discourage orks from taking shooty armies. Thus they over-
> price the heavy weapons for the orks. You can take them, but if you
> base your army around them, you'll be at a disadvantage.

Concur.

> >2. BowelBurnas. These are Battlewagons with an FP of 3 and an AF of 1,
> >but a range of 15cm and Close Support capability. Cost 14. (The astute
> >will note that they are basically the same as Hellhounds, but 5cm faster
> >and 2 pts more expensive)
>
> Now these I really like. I think it is "out of character" with the
> orky assault mentality that they have no close support weapons at
> all.

Concur.

> >Madboyz may be used whenever Orks are called for. They may NOT be
> >upgraded in any way, and cost 9 pts.
>
> I definity think that in any case, madboyz should be able to get
> jetpacks (+1 pt)

Concur.

> >6. Extra to give Mekboy Dragsta "Medic" ability. +10 pts
> >
> >"Medic" means that any _one_ non-war-engine unit within 5cm gains the
> >"Save" ability. [ Any unit already with this ability gains an additional
> >save, as has been made clear in the FAQ re vehicle escapees etc].
>
> I dunno, I still haven't found a dragsta rule I find completely
> satisfactory (i.e. not too powerful, but still keeps the spirit).
> While this definity is not too powerful, I don't like the feel of
> making a dragsta a speedy pain boyz unit.
>
> The only prob is I can't think of anything better.

EXACTLY! I feel the same way, somewhat dissatisfied, but unable to think
of anything better.

> Maybe dragstas
> could give any non-war engine unit within 5 cm a +1 to its armor
> value (to a max of 6)
>
> I would also give the dragsta different stats from speedstas. I.e.
> the dragsta itself would loose its 1 FP (woohoo!), and its AV (down
> to 0), but gain a save, to represent how hard it was in SM/TL to
> actually kill one (and to make them more durable).

Your falling into the complexity trap here.... consider the Imperial
Support Weapons. Tarantulas and Rapiers amalgamated. Very different
weapons in SM2.

> The whole detatchment can be infiltrators? That seems to make
> them almost useful (heresy!). I would allow them to field 1-2
> extra kommando mobs, but not 1-9

I'll have to think about this. Maybe you're right.

> >Any Imperial Vehicle at appropriate points cost
> Good luck trying to get your opponents to accept this ;)

Bear in mind that you can take either 1-3 Battlewagons, or One repeat
One Land Raider or whatever for the same slot.

> I don't know the prices of the IG units, but I assume it is more
> expensive for the orks to take the same units.

But in SM2 a group of 3 Land Raiders cost 150 pts for Orks, 200 pts for
everyone else. That's because of the (defunct) Ork Command rules of
course. But I see no reason for having an extra cost, just restrict
availability.

> >SPECIAL RULES ??: Addition of a Blood Axe mob reduces strategy rating by
> >1 unless no Boyz Mobs are used.
>
> I definitly agree that the bloodaxes should have some penelty, but I
> think if anything, they would have a better strategy rating than normal
> orks (they fink about stratergy).

OK, howza bout being similar to Imperials: Strategy Rating 4 if only
Blood Axes are used, 3 if no Blood Axes, 2 if mixed.

> I have been thinking about making a "speshul list" of silly ork units
> with way too many special rulez. The list would include such known
> and forgotten favorites as:
>
> 0 Wildboyz. They don't really have special rules, but they are silly
> and I miss having them about (I would say give them identical stats
> and cost as beastmen).

Not too bad, nor silly, this one.

All the rest are too complex or SM2 like in their exceptions.

> 5 Last but not least, the completely silly Goffic rockers (the big
> rolling stage they got in CJ last year).

And if you can find me a set of Epic models, I'd be very interested
indeed...
I believe they exist.

aebrain_at_... <> <> How doth the little Crocodile
| Alan & Carmel Brain| xxxxx Improve his shining tail?
| Canberra Australia | xxxxxHxHxxxxxx _MMMMMMMMM_MMMMMMMMM
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo oo oo oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture