RE: [Epic] more thoughts on Epic40K

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 14:29:59 -0500

"I also support the move to percentile dice because then all us players
over
16 wont be embarassed when real wargamers watch us play. I mean
everyone knows
that 6 sided dice are for kids and are mainly associated with games
like RISK.
A move to percentile dice would give an air of sophistication and
respectability
among serious wargaming adults and help to remove the "Recommended for
for age
12 yrs and less" stigma attached to Epic by most adults and wives.
Maybe more adults would be attracted to the game as a result
Maybe I would come out of the closet with mine?"

    The LURKER

----> Ummm...Is this supposed to be sarcastic? Normally I can spot it,
(see it, know it, live it) but I'm not sure here... MOST wargames use a
six sided dice (ASL, etc.) MOST miniature games/wargames use a 6-sider
(ok, sometimes numbered 2-5 but itstill has 6- sides) and the other
kind of ADULT gaming (such as you would find in Las Vegas) uses
6-siders. A few (and some good) wargames use 10-siders (the VG Fleet
games come to mind) but the only thing most non-6 siders are used for
is an RPG - yeah, those have a bigtime "adult" aura about them. Most
people see a goofy-looking dice like a 10-sider and double the
weirdness factor of what they see.

P.S. I don't think it's how many sides the dice have that weirds people
out...I think it's a lot of tiny painted toy soldiers (groan) being
enthusiastically pushed around a big table accompanied by lotso
jargon...

P.P.S : My dice box is full of goofy-looking dice like that cause
that's where I started and do still play some - good old TSR games...

P.P.P.S. I'm glad you made the distinction between "adults" and
"wives"...now let me just show her that as proof of what I've been
saying... :-)

        Chris Miller