Re: [Epic] more thoughts on Epic40K

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 00:10:42 +0100

> I also support the move to percentile dice because then all us players over
> 16 wont be embarassed when real wargamers watch us play. I mean everyone knows
> that 6 sided dice are for kids and are mainly associated with games like RISK.
> A move to percentile dice would give an air of sophistication and respectability
> among serious wargaming adults and help to remove the "Recommended for for age
> 12 yrs and less" stigma attached to Epic by most adults and wives.
> Maybe more adults would be attracted to the game as a result
> Maybe I would come out of the closet with mine?
>
> The LURKER

You realise, of course, that the DBM players (the most popular ancients
rules) are at this very moment taking out a contract on your life? Or
perhaps they (or should that be "we") are not "real" or "serious"
wargamers? On reflection, I'd rather not be a "serious" wargamer,
prefering to be a "fun" wargamer - but I certainly don't think a game is
any less legitimate because it has standard dice.

There's nothing wrong with D6s. Used properly by the rulesmakers, they
can give a wide range of possibilities. I think that there have been
people put off games because of oddly shaped dice, associating them with
the anorak-wearing role-players.

I suppose this must be why the Yanks prefer American football to
Association Football (soccer) - the oddly-shaped ball is clearly
demonstrative of a superior, serious game for the over 12s. (Please
don't remind me that rugby players also have oddly-shaped balls -
remember, with the scrums and rucks in that game, it's surprising that
only their balls are a funny shape.)

Richard