Re: [Epic] two Epic systems vs Ancients

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 00:10:58 +0100

sauron1 wrote:

> Sauron1 writes;Richard! You play other games too!. I have 8 DBA armies
> and am working on a 15mm 7yrs War army,as well as setting up an Epic2nd
> campain.I have an ACW Johny Reb rules army of 5 brigades of four regimnts
> per brigade plus cavalry and artillery per side. My sons play Warzone as
> well and we have 50 odd figures there.Epic is only one facit of our hoby
> to! sauron1

Other games? Just a few.

Mostly German boardgames - many americans have now heard of settlers,
and maybe modern art, but don't ignore el grande, wildlife
adventure/expedition, 6 nimmt, take it easy. Add in the railway games
like 18xx, some of the older GW boardgames (like Blood Royale - a really
fine game) etc etc, I'd say boardgaming was the major player in my
hobbies list. Note that I don't include ASL or any of its ilk in the
boardgames list - partly because I prefer to call them "hexgames" and
mostly because I really don't like them (with the exception of Across 5
Aprils and Carrier). I've alkso started to look at the Columbia block
games - Eastfront looks very good, for a hexgame. Then we start on the
wargames collection.. I have a few hundred Napoleonics, but never
really enjoyed the games (too many charts, modifiers, checks and
tests). DBM ancients form the major part of the wargames collection -
Classical Indian, Early Imperial Roman, Seleucid, Carolingian Franks,
Viking and two more full armies either in production or bought and
awaiting painting. And then there are all the GW games of the past 10
years or so - although only Space Hulk has been played for quite a
while. I've just got Man o War though, and that looks good. Finally
bringing up the rear is Epic 40k. Which I have found a little time to
paint and play recently.

Sometimes I prefer familiy boardgames - invariably German ones.
Sometimes a wargame - then it's a toss-up between the new Epic and DBM.
Many hobbies make for long painting schedules :)

Richard