Re: [Epic] 5th Element, Starship Troopers

From: Robert Lenghaus <lenghaus_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 17:12:42 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Jeff Schmidt wrote:

> >At 10:14 AM 5/20/97 EDT, you wrote:
> >Can't wait for Starship Troopers. Though I think onlyu an anime would be
> >able to do justice for the 40k universe. Not the American animation but in
> >your face Japanese animation...
> >

> Don't hold your breath. Current rumors say NO POWER ARMOR in "Starship
> Troopers"... and since it's 'Hollyweird', the plot looks totally hosed.
> For an interesting, unofficial look at _lots_ of movies in development,
> check out "Coming Attractions" http://corona.bc.ca/films/.

As a fan of the book of Starship Troopers I've been looking at the
Heinlein newsgroup for info on the movie. I suspect I'm going to be
seriously disapointed. Dead right NO power armour. The bugs have
suddenly retroed and have no weapons except claws and stings (how they
build starships I will be intrigued to find out) The few shots of the
movie I have seen show massed infantry assaults from drop ships with
troops looking like Space Above and Beyond ripoffs oh dear 8(.....0
Basically the exclusion of power armour has changed the scenes totaly.
In the books troops fought at least a couple of hundreds metres between
each other, now the look like a charge from WWI.

Rob L.