Re: [Epic] E40K Squats - LONG!!!

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 13:46:50 -0400

Alan Brain wrote:

> Finally, the points values may seem a bit harsh in places. But
> believe me, Squat Thunderers are worth every point they cost.
>
> Squat Units - Infantry - All Squat Infantry are stubborn
> ======================
> Unit Speed Range FP AF Armour Special
>
> Squat Warriors 10cm 30cm 1 2 4+ Stubborn,Rapid Fire

        OK, I get the stubborn, but what's with giving them rapid fire?
That's purely a SM ability. squat warriors should be closer to IG when
it
comes to shooting and close combat. Same goes for the armor... IIRC,
these
guys are as poorly armored as guardsmen (who are 3+, right?). I can see
justification for the AF of 2 since in SM/TL squat infantry is
marginally
better in CC then its imperial counterpart, but then again they still
sucked
in CC.

        You're turning these guys into minor space marines, while in SM/TL
they had the exact same stats as IG (besides morale).

> Berserkers Squat Warrior + Rampage,Assault
> Thunderers Squat Warrior + Heavy Weapons (Do not delete Rapid Fire)

        I like the idea of Hvy Wpns + Rapid Fire to represent the
thunderer's effectiveness. +12 pts/unit seems like a lot, but 4 FP
might be too much, especially since they'd be re-rolling misses.

> Heathguard Squat Warrior + Hero
> Living Ancestor Squat Warrior + Hero,Psyker,Assault

        Assault?

        If you combine Hero and Assault, which happens first? Has this
question already been answered for Assault & Hvy Weapons?

> Squats have at most 1 repeat 1 psyker in their army under
> this regime. Yet 1 Living Ancestor per detachment seems
> to go way too far the other way.

        How about 1 ancestor per warlord? ie you can only include an
ancestor in the detachment if it's led by a warlord.

> One more thing....
> Unit Speed Range FP AF Armour Special
> Chaos Squats: 10 30 2 2 4+ Rapid Fire, Stubborn
>
> Cost about 20 (due to shorter range). Remember, they ALL have heavy
> Bolters!

        For these guys, I was thinking more along the lines of FP 1, AF 2,
Heavy Weapons. No stubborn ability, chaos squats in SM/TL had good
morale
but didn't have the higher breakpoint that loyal squats got (turning to
chaos seems to take away one's unswerving dedication to one particular
cause).

Scott
shupes_at_...