Re: [Epic] E40K Squats - LONG!!!

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 02:50:14 -0700

SQUATS & TUNNELLERS in E40K

The following are my rules for Squats. They are neither official, nor
anyone else's opinions but my own.

I've tried to follow the E40K methodology, with as few rules
changes as possible. In fact, by deleting the Tunnelers, no
rules changes are needed.

I've also tried to preserve the flavour of the Squat Army, without
slavishly following the 2nd edition. Considering the differences
between the Leviathan, Colossus and Cyclops are relatively minor
in the grand scheme of things, maybe they could be consolidated
a la Stormhammer/Shadowsword/Baneblade. I also toyed with the idea
of having an Overlord being a SHV skimmer, but found that the fluff
about "Skimming Gas Giants" meant it was more of an aerospace craft
than it looked.

Finally, the points values may seem a bit harsh in places. But
believe me, Squat Thunderers are worth every point they cost.

Squat Units - Infantry - All Squat Infantry are stubborn
======================
Unit Speed Range FP AF Armour Special

Squat Warriors 10cm 30cm 1 2 4+ Stubborn,Rapid Fire
Berserkers Squat Warrior + Rampage,Assault
Thunderers Squat Warrior + Heavy Weapons (Do not delete Rapid Fire)
Heathguard Squat Warrior + Hero
Living Ancestor Squat Warrior + Hero,Psyker,Assault
Warlord Squat Warrior + Hero
Support Weapon 10cm 45cm AntiTk 0 4+
Thudd Guns 10cm 45cm 2 0 4+ Artillery

Notes:
"Support Weapon" includes Rapiers, Tarantulas, Mole Mortars

Squat Units - Vehicles - All Squat Vehicles are Stubborn
======================
Unit Speed Range FP AF Armour Special

Guild Biker 35cm 15cm 1 2 4+
Guild Trike 30cm 30cm 2 2 4+
Guildmaster Guild Trike + Hero
Termite 10cm - 0 0 5+ Transport(1),Tunneller
Termite Carrier 20cm 0 0 4+
Mole 10cm - 0 2 6+ Transport(2),Tunneller
Mole Carrier 20cm 0 0 5+
Rhino 30cm - 0 0 5+ Transport(2)
Robots 15cm 45cm 2 D3 6+
Goliath 10cm 45-125cm Hvy Brg 0 5+ Artillery
ThunderFire 10cm 45cm 2 0 5+ Flak
Iron Eagle
Gyrocopter 35cm 30cm 3 1 5+ Skimmer

Fliers
======
                Speed Range FP AF Armour Special
Overlord flyer 30m 6 1/6 6+

Super Heavy Vehicles
====================
Leviathan - as Imperial Leviathan

Colossus - As Leviathan but:
No transport capacity
1 x Missile Rack (Front) Range 60cm Hvy Barrage
Due to the targetting Gyrocopter attached to the Colossus (and
neither armed nor seperable from it), both the MegaCannon and Missile
Racks have the special ability "Artillery"

Cyclops - As Leviathan but:
No transport Capacity
1 x Missile Rack (Front) Range 60cm Hvy Barrage
MegaCannon is replaced by a Death Ray, Range 60cm, FP (1)

Land Train
Speed Voids Damage AF Special
10cm 6 6 6 none
Weapons:
        Megacannon (Front) 60cm
        Wpns Btry (all Round) 45cm FP4

Plus 4 of:
Close Combat
Heavy Weapons Battery
Vortex Missile
MegaCannon

NOTE:
Tunnellers:
Tunnellers appear as per the rules on Drop Pods, but unlike
Drop Pods which only carry one unit, may carry more. They are
also slower (use the "Up to 30cm move" row on the availability
table). Also unlike Drop Pods, they have some combat ability
in their own right, and are treated exactly as normal units
after appearance.

Carriers are used only in scenarios such as "Ambush" where
the Tunneller is carried on the carrier, otherwise
they are left off-table by the Airbase (if any).
Carriers on Special (!) Orders launch their Tunnellers in
the movement phase. The next turn is counted as "Turn 1"
for the purposes of reserves coming on.

As a passing aside..... the following do not appear in any Squat
Organisation, but are included for your edification.

Other SHVs
==========
                Move Armour Voids Dam AF Notes
Hellebore 5cm 6+ 0 16 40 Transport(6),Tunneller
        -No Weapons
Carrier 10cm 5+ 0 8 4
        -No Weapons
Cost: 200 pts

Capitol
Imperialis - As Leviathan, with the following changes:
Damage is 12 not 8
Void Shields 6 not 4
Megacannon Range is 30cm not 60cm
Weapons Battery Range is 30cm not 45cm
Transport is 8 not 6
Cost : 330 pts

ORGANISATIONS

Squat Commander
==============
You may choose 1 or 2 commanders
**COMMANDER**
1 WarChief 45 pts
 consists of 1 Squat Warrior (Hero, Commander)
Extra Cost to:
Upgrade to a Guild Trike* (Hero, Commander) Free
Mount in a Rhino* +7

* - choose 1 only

Up to 1 Living Ancestor
consists of 1 Squat Warrior (Hero, Assault, Psyker) 30 pts
Extra Cost to
Upgrade to a Guild Trike* (Hero, Psyker) Free
Mount in a Rhino* +7

**Bodyguard**
You may choose up to 4 bodyguards
Heathguard Squad
consists of 1 Squat Warrior (Hero) 20 pts
Extra to
Upgrade to a Guild Trike* (Hero) Free
Mount in a Rhino* +7

Squat Warrior Detachment

***COMMAND***
1 Detachment HQ +25 pts

Up to 1 Squat Warlord 20 pts
Consists of 1 Squat Warrior (Hero)
Extra to:
Mount in a Rhino +7 pts

**MAIN FORCE**
Choose up to 10 Squads

Warrior Squad
Consists of 2 Squat Warriors 26 pts
Extra to:
Mount in a Rhino +7 pts
Upgrade to Thunderers* (Hvy Weapons) +24 pts
Upgrade to Berserkers* (Assault, Rampage) +4 pts

Up to 2 Heathguard Squads
Consists of 2 Squat Warrior Units (Hero) 40 pts
Extra to:
Mount in a Rhino +7 pts

***SUPPORT***
Choose up to 10, but no more choices than Main Force

Robot 25 pts
Support Weapon 14 pts
Extra to mount in (towed by) Rhino +7 pts
Thudd Gun 14 pts
Extra to mount in (towed by) Rhino +7 pts
Thunderfire 30 pts
Bike Squad
consists of 1-3 Guild Bikers, 11 pts each
Trike Squad
consists of 1-3 Guild Trikes, 15 pts each
Iron Eagle 40 pts
----------------------------------
Squat Guild Bike Detachment
***COMMAND***
1 Detachment HQ +25 pts
Up to 1 Guildmaster
consists of 1 Guild Trike(Hero) 20 pts

***MAIN FORCE***
Up to 10 of

Guild Bike Squad
consists of 1-3 Guild Bikers, 11 pts each

Guild Trike Squad
consists of 1-3 Guild Trikes, 15 pts each

***SUPPORT***
Up to 10 of, but no more than main force choices

Warrior Squad
Consists of 2 Squat Warriors in a Rhino 33 pts
Extra to:
Upgrade to Thunderers* (Hvy Weapons) +24 pts
Upgrade to Berserkers* (Assault, Rampage) +4 pts

Iron Eagle 40 pts
-------------------------
Squat Grand Battery
*** COMMAND ***
1 Detachment HQ +25 pts

*** MAIN FORCE ***
Up to 10 of:

Support Group
1-2 Support Weapons, 14 pts each

Thudd Gun Group
1-2 Thudd Guns, 14 pts each

Goliath 50 pts

*** SUPPORT ***
Up to 10, but no more than main force

Warrior Squad
Consists of 2 Squat Warriors 26 pts
Extra to:
Mount in a Rhino +7 pts
Upgrade to Thunderers* (Hvy Weapons) +24 pts
Upgrade to Berserkers* (Assault, Rampage) +4 pts

-------------------------
Iron Eagle Squadron

***COMMAND***
1 Detachment HQ +25 pts

***MAIN FORCE***
Up to 10 of:

Iron Eagle 40 pts

***SUPPORT***
Up to 10 of, but no more than Main Force:

Bike Squad
consists of 1-3 Guild Bikers, 11 pts each
Trike Squad
consists of 1-3 Guild Trikes, 15 pts each

---------------------------
Overlord Airship Fleet

***COMMAND***
1 Detachment HQ +25 pts

***MAIN FORCE***
Up to 10 of:

1 Overlord Airship 70 pts

----------------------------
War Engine Detachment

***COMMAND***
none needed

***MAIN FORCE***
1 of the following:
Leviathan 330 pts
Colossus 330 pts
Cyclops 330 pts
Land Train 550 pts
---------------------------
Squat Miner Union
***COMMAND***
1 Detachment HQ +25 pts

Up to 1 Squat Warlord 20 pts
Consists of 1 Squat Warrior (Hero)
Extra to:
Mount in a Termite +7 pts

**MAIN FORCE**
Choose up to 10 Squads

Warrior Squad
Consists of 1 Squat Warrior Unit 13 pts
Extra to:
Mount in a Mole +12 pts
Mount in a Termite +7 pts
Upgrade to Thunderers* (Hvy Weapons) +12 pts
Upgrade to Berserkers* (Assault, Rampage) +2 pts

Up to 1 Heathguard Squad
Consists of 1 Squat Warrior Unit (Hero) 20 pts
Extra to:
Mount in a Termite +7 pts

-----------------------------------

OK, that's the lot. Any comments welcome, especially from
any kind soul who can playtest this lot.

Squats have at most 1 repeat 1 psyker in their army under
this regime. Yet 1 Living Ancestor per detachment seems
to go way too far the other way. Also, points values?

Remember that 99% of the Time, Thunderers will be on
Overwatch. Which means a FP of 4 each, due to Rapid
Fire. And re-rolling misses. 25 pts each seems positively
cheap!

One more thing....
Unit Speed Range FP AF Armour Special
Chaos Squats: 10 30 2 2 4+ Rapid Fire, Stubborn

Cost about 20 (due to shorter range). Remember, they ALL have heavy
Bolters!

Feel free to cut this up and stick it on a web page, just give credit
(and blame) where due.

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture