Re: [Epic] Guard tactics

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 17:45:26 -0400

Sean Smith wrote:

> To be honest, I am not sure if Ogryns can use Chrimeras or not.

        There's nothing stopping them....

        Ogyrns are infantry. Chimeras have Transport(2), which
allows them to carry 2 stands of infantry each. There are no
restrictions on what infantry they can carry. Just because you
can't 'mount' an Ogyrn squad in a Chimera doesn't mean you can't
actually stick them in Chimera if you have one lying around (frex,
if you bought one seperately out of Support).

        As to why guardsmen squads have the option to be 'mounted'
in a Chimera and Ogyrns don't, it is merely a matter of army org
and how certain squads are generally meant to be fielded. Frex,
if you buy 9 IG heavy weapon squads and mount 5 of them in Chimeras,
you can take 9 support options. If the option to mount them was
not there, you would have to use 5 of your support options just
to give the heavies transports, only leaving you 4 slots left for
neat stuff like tanks.

> > Also, using the Ogryns to defend the Heavy troopers may not
> > work, due to the disparity in armor. You'll either be so close that
> > the Heavies are shot down, or so far away that the Ogryns aren't
> > contributing to the fight. As a side effect of not having the books,
> > this hasn't really been tested.
>
> I can't follow your meaning here. Having Ogryns I believe would
> increase a detachments survivability, because of Ogryns higher armour value.
> Your could deliberatly put them in front of your heavy weapon troops,
> so that it would force the enemy troops to roll hits against the Ogryns,
> who have a higher armour.

        Doesn't really work out that way, unfortunately. With the
Ogryns in front, enemy troops can direct FP against the detachment
as long as they are within range of an Ogryn stand. BUT each roll
to penetrate armor hits the closest unit it possibly can (see the
Shooting phase section in the rules book). So an enemy detachment
will still be killing your heavies on 3-4? and will be killing
Ogryns on 5?-6 (assuming ogryn's armor is 5, don't recall for sure).
The IG heavies are still vulnerable (less so, but the enemy's fire
is not less effective just because you have the tough guys out
front).

        Hmmm. Maybe that isn't so clear. Here's a chart:

            E E E E

                O O

           H H H

E = enemy trooper
O = ogryn
H = IG heavy

        If the enemy rolls 3 dice and rolls 3, 3, & 6, you'd lose
two heavies and an Ogryn because the heavies are the closest units
that can be affected by the 3's and the Ogryn is the closest unit
that can be affected by the 6.

Scott
shupes_at_...