Re: [Epic] E40K Squats - LONG!!!

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 23:05:52 -0400 (EDT)

...and my comments on Alan's lineup.

Excerpts from Epic: 4-Jun-97 Re: [Epic] E40K Squats - LO.. by Alan
Brain_at_....
> Squat Warriors 10cm 30cm 1 2 4+ Stubborn,Rapid Fire

I, too, disagree with rapid fire here... 'nuff said there, I think.

I am rather glad to see you agree with me on the basic stat line,
though. Incidentally, to whooever said we just took the basic Ork
line... I actually built my stat line up from the Imperial guard, and it
turned out to be the basic Ork line, plus stubborn. <shrug>

> Berserkers Squat Warrior + Rampage,Assault

Rampage? Interesting... though I don't think that fits. (In spite of
the fact that I have a squad of Berserkers painted up with orange-dyed
beards....)

> Thunderers Squat Warrior + Heavy Weapons (Do not delete Rapid Fire)
> Heathguard Squat Warrior + Hero
> Living Ancestor Squat Warrior + Hero,Psyker,Assault

An interesting notion, though I think I prefer just tacking on a psyker
to a Warlord/Guildmaster. Though, perhaps an Ancestor Lord, of which
there should only be one per army...?

> Warlord Squat Warrior + Hero
> Support Weapon 10cm 45cm AntiTk 0 4+
> Thudd Guns 10cm 45cm 2 0 4+ Artillery

Out of curiosity, where'd you get 2 FP from?

> Notes:
> "Support Weapon" includes Rapiers, Tarantulas, Mole Mortars

Not IMO, which is why I used "Light Artillery" to describe Thudd Guns
and Mole Mortars. But that's GW's line, no?

> Termite 10cm - 0 0 5+
Transport(1),Tunneller

Hrm, you don't think the drill bit counts for anything on Assault?
(Actually, I'm not sure it should, but it looks more useful than the
front end of a Rhino....)

> Mole 10cm - 0 2 6+
Transport(2),Tunneller

Why only two? (Transport, that is, not assualt.) The mole is a bit
bigger than *that*... though it makes things a bit odd with assigning
troops to 'em.

> Robots 15cm 45cm 2 D3 6+

Interesting idea with the random assault factor, but I do like the idea
that... um... someone posted, about using robots (well-programmed) as
Squat Dreads. (I actually hadn't been considering them as such.) In
that case, I like your stat line better, with the assault firmed at 3.
(Or we could say, "(FP + Assault) = 4" or some such, and all robots in a
maniple must be equipped the same... but that might be a bit complex.)

> Goliath 10cm 45-125cm Hvy Brg 0 5+ Artillery

I prefer Mega-Cannon, though my points cost was too much for firing
every other turn and probably not enough for firing every turn, as I'd
intended. Seeing as Mega-Cannon hits whatever's under it, that *can*
get a bit nasty....

> ThunderFire 10cm 45cm 2 0 5+ Flak

Anti-tank? It seems more appropriate (to me) given the strength of the
main gun, but.... I also like giving it a 60 cm range, since the TF's
gun was the longest-ranged snapfire in the game (125 cm) that still
exists. (Well, kinda.) But that range was balanced out in my list by
the fact that the thing is immobile....

> Iron Eagle
> Gyrocopter 35cm 30cm 3 1 5+ Skimmer

40 cm move, dangit! The Eldar only just learned how to make their bikes
move as well! ^_^ The only other difference in our 'copters was Flak,
and I think that's out. (Though having the 'copters track flyers might
not be a bad thing... opinions?) Points value... I'd argue that a
'copter is now only marginally better than a Vyper (22 points), so 26 or
28 points seems the way to go IMO.

> Fliers
> ======
> Speed Range FP AF Armour Special
> Overlord flyer 30m 6 1/6 6+

Um... I really, really, *really* have trouble seeing this. Yes, I know
they talk about skimming gas giants, but that's the design this was
based off of, not the exact same thing... and "skimming" in this case
refers more to the "remove matter from liquid(/gas)" than skipping in
and out of the atmosphere (IMO, again). I recall a short story, I think
by Clarke, about a cyborg pilot and his trip into Jupiter; he used a
blimp, and he definitely wasn't moving that quickly.

> Super Heavy Vehicles
> ====================
> Leviathan - as Imperial Leviathan

Yup.

> Colossus - As Leviathan but:
> No transport capacity
> 1 x Missile Rack (Front) Range 60cm Hvy Barrage
> Due to the targetting Gyrocopter attached to the Colossus (and
> neither armed nor seperable from it), both the MegaCannon and Missile
> Racks have the special ability "Artillery"

Erm. I do like the way you've handled the missile racks, but... take a
look at my design for a bit:

Squat Colossus
speed 10cm
armour 6+
DC = 8
void = 6
assault = 8 (0.5 * # of bolters in SM/TL)
- Mega Cannon 60cm, can take LOS from Recon 'copter
- Turret Batteries FP = 8 each (2 batts) range 45 cm
- 1 anti-tank shot (4+), front 180 arc of fire, 30 cm; no mods for cover
(old Thunderer gun)
- 4x missiles: standard barrage, 60cm range, LOS from Recon 'copter

Now, replacing the missiles is OK, and I'm really not sure what to do
about the Thunderer Cannon, but the Colossus should be a *much* more
impressive War Machine than a Leviathan; they were on par with Warlords
before, except in terms of damage they could take.

Points value: 450 (?)

> Cyclops - As Leviathan but:
> No transport Capacity
> 1 x Missile Rack (Front) Range 60cm Hvy Barrage
> MegaCannon is replaced by a Death Ray, Range 60cm, FP (1)

Er, ditto, though I'm not really sure whether a Leviathan or a Cyclops
should be more impressive. I do feel *very* strongly, though, that a
Hellfury Cannon (a starship laser!) should *not* just be a death ray. I
was thinking d3 death rays, all on one target, but that'll be a little
unfair to Bug players. (Not that they don't deserve it... UWAHHAHAHAH!
<ahem>) Apart from that... actually, just caught sight of the Ordinatus
Armageddon w/the plasma annihilator (3 DR shots), not a bad model....

Squat Cyclops
speed 10cm, armour 6+, DC = 8 (Hmm, damage tables....)
void = 5
assault = 5
- Hellfury Cannon (3x Death Ray.. fixed forward fire? 90cm range?)
- missiles (either per Alan or 6x barrage, 60cm range)
- HWB: 8 FP at 30 cm. (Lump together the meltas & the BC.)

points value... hmm... 200 for an Ordinatus, so...300? (I don't think
it's as useful as a Leviathan, especially with the shorter range on the
battery....)

> Land Train
> Speed Voids Damage AF Special
> 10cm 6 6 6 none
> Weapons:
> Megacannon (Front) 60cm
> Wpns Btry (all Round) 45cm FP4
>
> Plus 4 of:
> Close Combat
> Heavy Weapons Battery
> Vortex Missile
> MegaCannon

I like the comment of making this a detachment unto itself; keeping the
Berserkers within command radius also seems fitting, IMO. (They're
*supposed* to stick close, not go gallavanting across the map!) Adding
void shields for additional cars would be cool also, but then you'd have
to make the cars have 5+ armour and that's where everyone would shoot to
drop the shields. ^_- Hmm... I'll have to think about it tomorrow, I'm
too tired now.

G'night,
                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...