Re: [Epic] [Epic40K] 1000pt Eldar Army list for critique

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 17:01:26 -0400 (EDT)

duckrvr_at_... writes:
> At 04:27 PM 6/5/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
> > I'm of the opinion that the Warlock w/ Wraithguard may not be
> >particularly effective. Just put two more Warlocks in with your
> >guardians, and consider them expendable. Otherwise, the first or
> >second anti-tank shot coming your way is going to destroy that 50+
> >point Wraithguard. If you can avoid having one or two valuable units,
> >the anti-tank shots won't be quite as effective against you.
>
> Agreed, but I dont' see how you can avoid it. You have to have a commander,
> and if you take a warlock, it has to be him. That means the minimum you can
> get away with is a guardian (7 pts) w/ warlock (10 pts) and HQ (25 pts) =
> 42. I would take one or two as back up for 17 points, but you have to have
> one pricy unit no matter what you do.

        True, but you only lose 17 points of unit when he dies, as
another guardian w/ warlock is then promoted to Section HQ. If he had
shot at the Wraithguard w/ warlock, you're losing something like 29
points. If the enemy is likely to get off one or two anti-tank shots
before the engagement begins in CC/Firefights, and the detachment is
infantry-based, you're not really gaining anything by having a
Wraithguard in the detachment.
        It's still not a bad strategy, but the AT shots aren't working
right. Instead of taking out tanks, they're headhunting. Fix that
and the Wraithguard HQ is much more valuable.

Mark