RE: [Epic] [E40K] Squats -- different list

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 07:35:08 -0400

-------------------------------------
"Your incorrect assumptions are three=
fold."
"You assume law still reigns in the Five Galaxies"
"You assume that =
we would be bound by precedents and precepts from the last 10 million years=
."
"But your most incorrect assumption of all is to assume that we care." =

                                        -David Brin, Infinity's Shore
---------------------------------------=
--------------James Nugent----------------------------------------

{snip}=

Squat Overlord
speed 10cm
armour 5 (but always takes critical)
damage cap=
acity 4
assault 3 (does it matter?)
Weapons:
  2x HWBs, 8 FP at 45cm (combi=
ne the battlecannon & autocannon)
  heavy barrage, 0cm (target as before, a=
round hex stand)

2-6 Gasbag hit +0 points shot hits self-sealing=
 gasbag; do not
reduce DF *at all* for this hit.
7 Gasbag torn +0=
 points tear doesn't re-seal immediately;
damage taken as normal.
8 Weap=
ons system hit +1 point random weapons system cannot be fired
until it i=
s repaired.
9 Propulsion hit +2 points Overlord cannot move under p=
ower
until engines are repaired; counts as immobilized until repaired.
Opti=
onal rule: drift may come into play
10-12 Catastrophic damage see table b=
elow

Catastrophic damage:
1-3 Wrecked Internal explosions tear through=
 the inner compartments,
kiling the crew and leaving the Overlord a floatin=
g wreck.
4-5 Destroyed Explosions tear through the Overlord, shredding th=
gasbag. The Overlord drops from the sky like a rock, crashing into the
g=
round below. Roll a d6 to hit any units within 5 cm.
6 Destroyed Explo=
sions rip the Overlord into shreds, scattering
shrapnel across the battlefi=
eld. Roll a d6 to hit any models within 3d6
cm. Optional: drift may come =
into effect.

Optional rule:
Drift: when not under power, the Overlord may =
drift with the wind. Roll
a d6 on the table below:
1 drift d6 cm towards=
 the enemy line
2-3 drift d6 cm towards the left flank
4-5 drift d6 cm towa=
rds the right flank
6 drift d6 cm towards friendly lines

Overlords alway=
s roll on the critical damage table when their armour is
penetrated.

Overl=
ords are always in the open. They can see the entire battlefield,
and can =
be seen by the entire battlefield, barring units with heavy
overhead cover,=
 such as those in the middle of a forest. Non-flying
units firing on the O=
verlord must add 15cm to the range to target due to
the height of the Overl=
ord above the battlefield. The Overlord cannot
be assaulted, but it may be=
 engaged in a firefight by troops with 30+ cm
weapons. It may support both=
 firefights and assaults as normal for War
Engines.

---cut here---

And th=
ere it is, barring a few comments. ^_^

1) I decided to take damage on a '7=
' since, with 2d6, you can't
represent 50% probabilities with contiguous re=
sults. I think it works
pretty well: the Overlord will survive a couple hi=
ts, but I don't think
it'll do any better than the original version. (Actu=
ally, I don't think
it'll survive *nearly* as long, since they're out in th=
e open & are War
Engines... though the 15cm range will help in that respect=
.)

2) I decided to use an armour value of 5 because that's what most of th=
shots heading at an Overlord were in Epic: 5+ shots. Since the armour
va=
lue in this case is the chance to roll on the critical table, I
figured tha=
t was a good value to use. Comments?

3) Drift. This was for the fun of i=
t; as I stated above, it's optional.
 I considered doing something that wou=
ld establish a wind direction and
strength, but decided not to worry about =
it in the Overlord rules.
Maybe later....

I have just one comment. Give it=
 an armour of 6 & get rid of the +15cm thing. I see the logic, but it is a =
special rule, also giving it a 6 armour gives about the same amount of prot=
ection, since +15 range is good in a game where all ranges are now short. A=
lso it makes the firefights weird.

----=