RE: [Epic] [E40K] Squats -- different list

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 09:13:26 -0500

>If the gasbag rules are built into the critical hit table, it will not
>accuratly represent the old system of 1/3 of all hits doing no damage.
>Unless perhaps the Overlord always took a critical (like Eldar Titans),
>and say, a 2-6 roll on the critical chart read (something like): The shot
>hits the self-sealing gasbag and does no damage. Do not reduce the DF by
>one for this hit.
>
>That's a good idea, the I just see one obvious problem, a criticla hit is
>supposed to be, well CRITICAL. It seems that auto-criticalling should be a
>dis-advantage, like eldar Titans. Of course that's just my thought. How about
>just most of the criticals do no additional dammage. Oh well.

-----> (Editorial Aside: Arrrghhh-Monday morning...)

        After reading the traffic flying thick and fast on the squats, it looks
to me like they need a seperate aerofighter type craft - the idea of
blimps and helicopters engaging jet and rocket powered attack craft just
flat bugs me. Now until the day GW comes out with one, what do you do?
Do the squats have spacecraft seperate from the Empire? If so, they must
have landing craft. A squat landing craft - now what would THAT look
like? As a complete shot in the air, what about using the old "flying
brick with crenellations" T-hawk - I mean really now, what's more
squatty than a flying brick screaming in over the horizon and dumping a
load of berserkers out on top of a vital position...? Give it decent
armor, respectable speed, maybe a barrage and some AT shots and
voila...I wouldn't make it an awesome dogfighter, but make it tough and
able to carry troops and I think you have a useful unit..
        This would also free up the Gyrocopters and Overlords to act as
skimmers - something similar to the way Silver Towers work for chaos -
anybody got those rules handy? I don't think they're different, but if
they are, there's a guide based on a unit which is always in the air...
        As a disclaimer, I will say that Squats are the only race in 2ned which
 I do not own, do not play, and do not have an army for. Based on 2nd
ed, they had big guns for artillery (someone wanna hit me with the
Goliath stats again -is it just a mega-cannon?), some so-so fliers (hey
it's better than what the orks had), and superheavy vehicles. The
artillery should be relatively easy to do, and honestly the
colossus/leviathan should be alternate packages for the same basic unit
- I dont think the basic toughness and moves were any different in 2nd,
so the weapons suites are the important change between models. (No I
didn't like what they did to my Impy supers, but that's a different
thread and it is the Way now, so...
        And finally the Overlord damage chart - remember the ork gargant in 2nd
ed? Remember how most of the hits on it were "hull" which just added 1
to the next damage roll and nothing else? Remember fires? Remember how
(unlike an Impy titan) you could blow the head off of an ork gargant and
it would keep on fighting? Well we don't get that anymore so quit trying
to weasel in free hits for your damn blimp and just give it a higher
damage value!!! You can gripe about losing flavor or advantages or
whatever else - welcome to Epic40K where the Orks went to 8 different
vehicles from probably twice that, no Mekboy gargant, no gutbuster with
3 different ammo types, and shokk attack guns are artillery (gack!)
Don't even get me started on the Eldar and Impies, and Chaos - "Juggers?
We know nothing of Juggers."

I fell much better now. : )
Chris Miller