Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats - Land Train proposal

From: W. Gregory Klett <cyclops_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 18:35:21 -0500

>Excerpts from Epic: 9-Jun-97 [Epic] [E40K] Squats - Land.. by "W.
>Gregory Klett"_at_minn.
>> unit Weapon fire arc range FP Notes
>> -------- ------ -------- ----- -- -----
>> Engine AT x 4 front 60 -
>> Battery 360 30 4
>> Hvy Barrage front 90 - Artillery
>> Mortar Mega Cannon front 25-75 - Artillery
>> Battery 360 30 1
>> Dragon Flamer 360 15 3 Close Support
>> Battery 360 30 1
>> Berserker AT x 1 front 45 -
>> Battery 360 30 2
>> Bomb Vortex x 1 front 90 -
>> Battery 360 30 1
>
>Hmm... I haven't looked too closely at your Land Train (it looks good
>from the discussion, though) but I did just notice a reference to
>anti-tank shots. Huh? ust curious, but where are these coming from?
>All the other battlecannon & autocannon in the game seem to have been
>converted to FP... sure, I guess that means there's a bit of a lack of
>AT shots (barring the Land Raider) but I'm not sure that justifies
>giving 'em to the Squats. Still, it *does* look nifty.

 As the primary strength of the old engines battlecannon with their -2
save mod, I felt that the LT/Eng needed some punch. Using these as raw FP
would work, but it just seems to be too light. I 'spose that by keeping
with the primary barrage flavor of the old squats it would make sense to
drop the AT and add say 4 more FP, or just maybe upping the range.
 I don't find that barrages are anywhere near the threat in E40K that
they were in E 2nd.

>Also, the Mortar should really have the Heavy Barrage, with 45-125 cm
>range (as per Imperial Seige Arty), while the Engine should have the
>same 60 cm Mega-Cannon non-artillery shot as the DoomsDay Cannon on the
>Leviathan. The bolters probably shouldn't count as batteries... yeah,

 The Megacannon is being moved to the Engine, that is just too obvious!

 As to the Bolter batteries, sigh, your are right. I jsut got carried away
there.

>that makes the Dragon battlecar even more useless, but, um... hmm. How
>the hell do you handle a War Engine with a close support weapon? Seeing
>as the "assistance" a War Engine lends is based on it's current DC?
>
> Aaron Teske
> Mithramuse+_at_...

 I was thinking that the Dragon would just add its FP strength to the
DC calculated value. Hmmm, the FP should probably be dropped to 2, as it
is already adding .5 for its DC. I did notice this one could cause a
problem with the rules, but I felt why can't a WE be specialized for
a support role?

   Greg

| W. Gregory Klett | Those that can, do! |
| cyclops_at_... | Those that could and won't, dream. |
| | Those that can't, pretend and brag about it! |