Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats -- different list

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 08:40:03 -0400 (EDT)

>> Squat Overlord
>> speed 10cm
>> armour 5 (but always takes critical)
>> damage capacity 4
>> assault 3 (does it matter?)
>> Weapons:
>> 2x HWBs, 8 FP at 45cm (combine the battlecannon & autocannon)
>> heavy barrage, 0cm (target as before, around hex stand)

I would reduce the overlords fp a tad myself (make it one HWB,
and make the bombs a regular barrage at 15 cm). However, as long as
the points work out, I don't think it matters).

>> Overlords always roll on the critical damage table when their armour is
>> penetrated.
>>
>> Overlords are always in the open. They can see the entire battlefield,
>> and can be seen by the entire battlefield, barring units with heavy
>> overhead cover, such as those in the middle of a forest. Non-flying
>> units firing on the Overlord must add 15cm to the range to target due to
>> the height of the Overlord above the battlefield. The Overlord cannot
>> be assaulted, but it may be engaged in a firefight by troops with 30+ cm
>> weapons. It may support both firefights and assaults as normal for War
>> Engines.
>>

>"The Overlord cannot be assaulted, but it may be engaged in a firefight
>by troops with 30+ cm weapons." Two more rules exceptions. I don't
>think the first one can be avoided. I do think that the "30+ cm
>weapons" restriction is unnecessary and should be removed. Firefights
>can take place between blind, unarmed detachments with no possible way
>of reaching each other. A bit of height shouldn't really matter either.

I say get rid of all the special rules. Just make overlords skimming
WEs and forget they ever flew. It's also possible to get rid of the
special critical rules by using existing rules. For example:

To represent the old airbags save, give the overlord a regular save.
Give the overlord armor of 6 to represent its toughness.
The critical table has only 1 result: catastrophic damage.

This represents the general toughness of the overlords while still
giving them that chance (1 in 36 per die in this case) that one
lucky shot will sneak through a flame the whole thing. And no new
special rules.

David