Re: [Epic] Buildings in E40k

From: Chris Salvato <shidara_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 00:14:32 -0500

>Actually, I like the idea of giving buildings an assault value. It's just
>a little more abstract than with regular units. For example, a unit of
>or tactical marines armed with bolters and some sort of personal close
>combat weapon (now special CC weapons like chainswords, powerswords, and
>the like, just a combat blade or something) isn't going to be able to hurt
>the building as much as dedicated close combat troops are. Picture
>assaults on a building as demolition maneuvers(sp?). A large building will
>come down pretty hard if you take out the correct supports. Granted, most
>assault troops are not likely to be demolition experts, but they can set
>up some explosives to take the whole thing down. I really don't think it
>would be hard to take down a small building. By small, I mean something
>along the lines of 40mm by 40mm, and no more than say 40mm tall. I could
>definitely envision squads of devies taking it down with well placed missle
>shots, or at least badly damaging it. I can also envision assault troops
>blowing it to all hell with demolition charges on main supports, as well.
>
>As for rules suggestions, why not make the assaulting troops first have
>to assault any enemy troops inside the building, and then being able to
>assault the building itself. For example, let's say that five units of
>regular orc boyz are inside a building. 3 stands of assault marines want
>to take down that same structure. They first fight a CC wth the orcs,
>but instead of doing regular CC, just add up all the assault values of
>the troops inside the building to compare with the combined assault value
>of the attacker's units (everyone is involved), and don't allow support
>(most of the fighting is being done inside the building). If the assaulting
>detachment succeeds, it fights off the defending units long enough to be
>able to set the charges. Then the assault on the building can happen.
>
>One thing I would add, at least for infantry assaulting buildings, is an
>added risk factor of the assault troops not getting out in time. Sort
>of like the War Engines, whose catastrophic damage can sometimes encompass
>a large. Maybe modify the catastrophic damage tables for buildings and
>add this kind of thing in, i.e. on a 6 for catastrophic damage, all units
>within say d6 cm take a hit, or something like that.
>
>If you want to get more complex, you could always add in buildings falling.
>For those of us with scatter dice, it wouldn't be hard to get a random
>direction for the building to fall in. Otherwise, just roll a d12 for
>direction or something. Anything under the building takes a hit, maybe
>with a 4+ save as per infantry inside transports that get destroyed.

Thank you elias!

You managed to say exactly what I was thinking when I wrote those rules.

The idea is to give a building *some* kind of "defense" against a stand of
gretchin (assault 1) walking in and blowing the building up. While I can
see a squad of assault marines with melta bombs waltzing in and bombing the
sh*t out of the main power plant, or vital support columns, I can't seem to
find anything that would allow realistic building assaults...Hmm, maybe
this:

Only Infantry or War Engines may assault buildings. Infantry must enter
the building, while War Engines must be in base contact with it. In either
case, run a close assault as normal, except that the building counts as
having no blast markers, no psyker, and the assault value listed. The
assault values are determined and appropriate bonuses are added up. Dice
are rolled to determine the die roll needed for the assaulting units to
score a hit on the building. The assaulting detachment takes no blast
markers and no hits. Once the target number has been determined, the
assaulting detachment gets only a single roll to damage the building
regardless of how many units assaulted. War Engine Close Assault weapons
always cause Critical damage, not Catastrophic damage, to buildings when
they score hits. CC weapons do allow the war engine to double its assault
value against bulildings.

Example 1:
3 stands of Assault Marines are assaulting a medium building (AF: 30)
The Marines are AF 4 each after modification, and thus have a combined
Assault of 12. The building has 30, which counts asd double, and so gets a
+2 on its die roll. The Marine player rolls a 3 and the building rolls a 4
+ 2 = 6. The difference is 3, and so the marines get a single roll to
score a 5+ to damage the building. If they roll a 5 or 6, the building
will suffer 1 point of damage, and the assaulter can roll 1d6 to try and
score a 6 to do critical damage to the building.

Example 2:
An Eldar Phantom is assaulting a large building (AF 45). The Phantom has a
CC weapon, doubling its AF to 60. The Revanant is up on the building by
15, giving it a +1 for higher AF. The Revenant rolls a 5 + 1 = 6 and the
building a 4. The revenant wins by 2, giving it a 4+ to cause damage. If
in fact it does cause damage, it automatically rolls 2d6 on the critical
damage chart to see what effect it has.

Whaddaya think?
Chris

A *nice guy* who's determined Chris Salvato
to finish first no matter what shidara_at_...
dirty, underhanded, deceitful
and dowright diabolical things
he has to do to get there...
+