Re: [Epic] Buildings in E40k

From: Elias Tiliakos <elite_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 97 11:03:11 EDT

At 12:14 AM 6/11/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Only Infantry or War Engines may assault buildings. Infantry must enter
>the building, while War Engines must be in base contact with it. In either
>case, run a close assault as normal, except that the building counts as
>having no blast markers, no psyker, and the assault value listed. The
>assault values are determined and appropriate bonuses are added up. Dice
>are rolled to determine the die roll needed for the assaulting units to
>score a hit on the building. The assaulting detachment takes no blast
>markers and no hits. Once the target number has been determined, the
>assaulting detachment gets only a single roll to damage the building
>regardless of how many units assaulted. War Engine Close Assault weapons
>always cause Critical damage, not Catastrophic damage, to buildings when
>they score hits. CC weapons do allow the war engine to double its assault
>value against bulildings.
>
>Example 1:
>3 stands of Assault Marines are assaulting a medium building (AF: 30)
>The Marines are AF 4 each after modification, and thus have a combined
>Assault of 12. The building has 30, which counts asd double, and so gets a
>+2 on its die roll. The Marine player rolls a 3 and the building rolls a 4
>+ 2 = 6. The difference is 3, and so the marines get a single roll to
>score a 5+ to damage the building. If they roll a 5 or 6, the building
>will suffer 1 point of damage, and the assaulter can roll 1d6 to try and
>score a 6 to do critical damage to the building.

Well, the only real problem I have with this is that on average, a small
building will probably be able to survive the entire battle (with your
critical list, and DF). I guess it depends on how big the building is.
However, one suggestion that I think would be fair is that instead of
having only one die rolled max for infantry, have them roll for each
infantry stand involved in the assault, with criticals caused normally
on a 6 with a different roll. So, for your example above, the infantry
roll 3 dice, and whatever causes a hit gets a roll for a possible crit.

Another way to do this is to say that each infantry unit gets to roll for
a hit, but limit them to one _max_ crit roll. So, for your example, the
three infantry units would all roll to see if the hit and caused a crit,
but even if they cause more than one crit, they only roll _once_ on the
critical damage table.

>Example 2:
>An Eldar Phantom is assaulting a large building (AF 45). The Phantom has a
>CC weapon, doubling its AF to 60. The Revanant is up on the building by
>15, giving it a +1 for higher AF. The Revenant rolls a 5 + 1 = 6 and the
>building a 4. The revenant wins by 2, giving it a 4+ to cause damage. If
>in fact it does cause damage, it automatically rolls 2d6 on the critical
>damage chart to see what effect it has.

This I like. Good stuff.

>Whaddaya think?
>Chris

All in all, great. Just the above suggestions.

Elias