Re: [Epic] Question on Tyranid Biotitans

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 11:11:48 -0500

At 10:38 AM 6/12/97 -0400, you wrote:

>> I'm still wondering if it is worth it
>> to take a titan hunter. Something quick, like a warlock titan or a reaver,
>
> Reavers are as fast as Warlords now (15cm).

Well, yes, but I wouldn't want to dedicate a Warlord to titan hunting and
the associated risks that come with it.

>> with a cc weapon, and a death ray (d-cannon). It could definitely thrash
>> enemy war engines, and inflict a bit of damage aside from that. The only
>> question is whether it would survive to make contact.
>
> I was thinking about this the other night, and I'm
>not sure it's possible. Because WEs are so slow and just
>about all of them have good ranges, a titan-hunter is going
>to have to spend at least 1 turn inside it's target's gun
>ranges. Plus, you can pretty much count on there being
>other detachments nearby, probably on overwatch. Even if
>the hunter survives, chances are it's going to have problems
>moving thanks to suppresion.

Those are my concerns, also.

> And heck, all your opponent has to do is stick 1
>infantry stand in front of your target & your hunter would
>have to assault that first, giving him more time to shoot
>at you.

That shouldn't work. I know that technically it does, but it's silly.

>> I'm assuming that
>> most folks take at least 1 detachment of WEs in a larger battle, of course.
>
> Which is not neccessarily the case. I hardly
>ever took titans (aside from the LoB) in 2nd edition and
>got along just fine without them... I think you could
>do OK without them in this edition as well.

I have been favorably impressed by titan performances. They are definitely
worth the points now, and they are fun. I expect most folks will take them.
In any case, i wouldn't take a titan-hunter into a blind situation (like a
tournament), only when i knew the guy I was fighting almost always takes them.

Temp