RE: [Epic] tunnelers (was: Squats -- After Review:)

From: Peacekeeper-� <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 15:40:09 -0400

----------
From: David Lado[SMTP:lado_at_...]
Sent: Friday, =
June 13, 1997 6:57 PM
To: space-marine_at_...
Subject: RE: [Epic] tunn=
elers (was: Squats -- After Review:)

[on tunnelers]

>This is OK, though =
unless you let the tunnelers move *really* quickly
>(ie march move while un=
derground, which seems a bit fast) they should
>get a couple of turns' of m=
ovement before a game begins, assuming it's a
>set battle and not an ambush=
. Or just give them the Infiltration
>special ability, or make it an intri=
nsic to the "tunneler" special.

>> Actually, I would prefer the drop pod =
method, since it is simpler
>> still, and requires no new rules.
>
>My main=
 problem with this is that it's *too* random. Tunnelers
>shouldn't be quit=
e *that* blind; just pay attention to how fast you're
>going for how long, =
for a rough estimate, or there's intertial guidance
>and maybe some others.=

>How about this:
>Special Ability:Tunneler. Tunnelers are machinges that=
 move underground, and appear beneath enemy troops. A tunneler may dive or =
surface once a turn. When a tunneler dives is goes below ground and stays b=
elow for the rest of that turn. when it surfaces i
tly. A infiltration move=
 counts as assault. Troops leaving a tunneler are treated like troops leavi=
ng a transporting flyer.

I think this is a good way to put more randomne=
ss into tunnelers without
making them like drop pods. In any case, I thin=
k it will require the
creation of some similar sort or "Tunneler rules" tha=
t are distinct
from other transports (rather than just trying to squeeze t=
hem into
an existing rule).

My personal thought was:

Tunnelers

Tunnelers=
 always enter the board as reserves with a reserve speed of
"up to 30 cm".=
  During the movement phase in which they are scheduled
to arrive, the owni=
ng player may place the HQ unit anywhere on the
table. All the other unit=
s must be placed within 15 cm of the HQ
unit.

The tunnelers may not move =
during the phase they arrive, though any
troops on board may debark paying =
the normal 5cm penalty. Once on
the surface, tunnelers may move normally (=
after their first movement
phase of course), but they may not go undergroun=
d again.

To add a little extra flavor to the tunnelers, I thought of a cou=
ple
of extra rules which might or might not be useful:

Option #1: after a=
ll tunneler units have been placed, they must
make a "dangerous terrain tes=
t". (In SM/TL, they had a chance to get
stuck underground when they tried =
to surface)

Option #2: detachments on tunnelers (includeing the tunneler
=
detachment if they are all together) may not be given any special
orders u=
ntil the HQ has sufaced and/or debarked. (This is to place
a little limita=
tion on tunnelers, so they can't pop up under an
enemy unit and assault it =
on the same turn, nor can they go to overwatch
on the turn they surface).

=
NOTES: These are based on the drop pod rules, with the tunnelers having
mo=
re control over their placement. This advantage is countered by:
(1) The c=
ost of the tunnelers (drop pods are free) and (2) the use of
either optiona=
l rule.

This isn't bad. Although I'd like to see some sort of deviation. T=
he drop pod rule isn't to bad, but I just never like that template and drop=
 counters thing. It just has an un-proffional feel to. (Kinda like the spac=
e fleet drop the dice on the top of the box thing, and to all who like eith=
er method I apoogize).
How about after the units are place withing 15cm of =
the Hq each deviates D6x5 cm in a random direction. (This gives a max of 30=
 cm) and let them use any orders when they would come out. I suspect people=
 would mostly want tunners to strike behind enemy lines at things like arti=
llary.

Q:Can any race use drop pods? Only the Tyranids seem to have a spe=
cific list for it. The rules list no specific races.

                                -James