RE: [Epic] tunnelers (was: Squats -- After Review:)

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 16:15:57 -0400 (EDT)

>>Tunnelers
>>
>>Tunnelers always enter the board as reserves with a reserve speed of
>>"up to 30 cm". During the movement phase in which they are scheduled
>>to arrive, the owning player may place the HQ unit anywhere on the
>>table. All the other units must be placed within 15 cm of the HQ
>>unit.
>>
>>The tunnelers may not move during the phase they arrive, though any
>>troops on board may debark paying the normal 5cm penalty. Once on
>>the surface, tunnelers may move normally (after their first movement
>>phase of course), but they may not go underground again.
>>
>>To add a little extra flavor to the tunnelers, I thought of a couple
>>of extra rules which might or might not be useful:
>>
>>Option #1: after all tunneler units have been placed, they must
>>make a "dangerous terrain test". (In SM/TL, they had a chance to get
>>stuck underground when they tried to surface)
>>
>>Option #2: detachments on tunnelers (includeing the tunneler
>>detachment if they are all together) may not be given any special
>>orders until the HQ has sufaced and/or debarked. (This is to place
>>a little limitation on tunnelers, so they can't pop up under an
>>enemy unit and assault it on the same turn, nor can they go to overwatch
>>on the turn they surface).
>>
>>NOTES: These are based on the drop pod rules, with the tunnelers having
>>more control over their placement. This advantage is countered by:
>>(1) The cost of the tunnelers (drop pods are free) and (2) the use of
>>either optional rule.
>
>This isn't bad. Although I'd like to see some sort of deviation. The drop pod rule isn't to bad, but I just never like that template and drop counters thing. It just has an un-proffional feel to. (Kinda like the space fleet drop the dice on the top of the box thing, and to all who like either method I apoogize).
>How about after the units are place withing 15cm of the Hq each deviates D6x5 cm in a random direction. (This gives a max of 30 cm) and let them use any orders when they would come out. I suspect people would mostly want tunners to strike behind enemy lines at things like artillary.

I think that's too much dice rolling and measuring. Plus it has the
possibility of leaving the detachment very scattered (even leaving some
out of command range. Better to simply deviate the HQ and place the
remaining units around it.

>Q:Can any race use drop pods? Only the Tyranids seem to have a specific list for it. The rules list no specific races.

Any race can use drop pods when called on by the scenario (i.e. planetary
assault). Space Marines and tyrannids can use them any time. See the notes
on page 34 and 106 of the armies book.

David