RE: [Epic] Battle Honors - rough draft

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 11:55:46 -0400

 10:24 PM 6/13/97 -0400, you wrote:

>>> Hip Shooting - titan may fire dur=
ing the vehicle fire phase

>> With some penalty, right? Otherwise this =
could get nasty,

=
>Yeah, it needs some penalty, but what? I think being counted as being on
=
>assault orders is too stiff. Maybe a -1 for SHWs, and leave the fp (eldar=

>titans cont' have much anyway).
>
>i dunno, how is this usefull. You just=
 get to fire before you get
plastered. To crit an eldar titan you need 18 d=
ice. (6 hits, 1 gets though
holo-fileds and 1/3
>of all dice hit.) That's =
35 Fp or 12 anti-tank shots(6 Lr's) or 6 deth rays.

7DR actually, but clos=
e enough.

>(The fields are good agains those). Considering most critacals =
take out the
holo-fields it's bub-bye from there. Would some one explain wh=
at is so
powerfull about this.

A titan is going to have nearly as much fir=
epower as a detachment. Suppose
it's your Phantom (2 pulsars) squared off =
against. If it can't fire until
the WE phase, it will get fried. If it ge=
ts to fire before the LRs it will
kill about 4 on average and put 2 BMs on =
the detachment. That effectively
removes 10 AT shots. As you pointed out,=
 that is almost enough to guarantee
a hit, and probably make the titan go d=
own (when the holo-field goes,
everyone will pour fire onto the titan). An=
d, of course, if a WE duel, the
titan will always shoot first.

It is tough=
er than the lightning reflexes honor, which will only allow the
titan to fi=
re first in the WE phase. It needs a balancer.

You may be right, although=
 I think this situation (straight duel between a war engine and a detachmen=
t) is unrealistic. There would be other stuff on the board. How about the W=
e fires as if it has 2 Blast markers on it. (or may be 1). Or how about eac=
h weapon system(left arm, right arm, each wing) may fire on a 4+. Those tha=
t fail may fire in the WE fire phase normally. (Sir, we're not ready yet...=
:).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
---------------------------------------
"Your incorrect assumptions are thr=
eefold."
"You assume law still reigns in the Five Galaxies"
"You assume tha=
t we would be bound by precedents and precepts from the last 10 million yea=
rs."
"But your most incorrect assumption of all is to assume that we care."=

                                        -David Brin, Infinity's Shore