RE: [Epic] Tournament army for review

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 07:16:05 -0400

>>HQ +25 185 (50 AF. Mv 30, charge 45
>>Aspect +JP,+Aslt,+Psy =
even bugs look twice.)
>>Aspect +JP,+Aslt x9
>
>sounds good.
>
>>HQ +25 =

>>Aspect +JP x5 NightSpinner x5 300 (jp so they can keep up)
>> =
        (suppress the bejeezus out of someone)

>Why the aspects? Just =
'cuz they're cheap?
I bought the aspects so that I could move the detachmen=
t into place and
start firing as soon as possible. And if they need to run=
 away they have
the speed to do so.

>>HQ +25 305 (trnspt for Harlie=
s)
>>Vampire x3
>>Pheonix x2
>
>Are they just transport or are you planning=
 on making them bombers? If you
>put the detachment on transport orders th=
e phoenixes are just wandering
>around, aren't they?
On the turn I transpor=
t the harlies in the pheonixes just accompany them
and only use half of the=
ir FP. (still add up to 15FP!)

>>ShadowSeer Great Harlequin 207 (cause=
 they look so
>>Harlequin Squad (2) x3 darn cool. and 58 AF
>>Harlequi=
n squad (2)+Solitaire x2 isnt bad either.)

>Looks okay.
>
>> I also =
toyed with the idea of replacing the flyers and harlequins with a
>>warlock=
 titan. It seems like this is way to fragile. Not enough units on
>>the boa=
rd. I have not played that many games so I am unsure how this is
>>going t=
o work out.

>I think a better flier composition would be advantageous. M=
aybe jetbikes
>instead of Harlies and homogenous fliers?

Need the mobility=
 of the flyer transport to put the harlies down their
throats as soon as po=
ssible. The jetbikes are nice but they have to get so
close to do anything=
 than they get overrun in an assault half the time.

>> The plan was to us=
e the 5 NightSpinners on overwatch to place 4-5 BMs
>Then why aspects? Pic=
k something that will benefit from being on overwatch
>with them, like falc=
ons. They are more expensive, but they will be useful,
>while your jp aspe=
cts will sit on overwatch with nothing in range.

>> When they are suffici=
ently covered in BMs(turn 2 I would think) I
>>would drop the harlequins on=
 his rear line and charge with the aspect
>>detachment. after that I could=
 use the flyers as ground attack with 24
>>FP!!! It still seems like to fe=
w units to me but with Eldar you are kind
>>of stuck with that.
>
>1) If yo=
u are using the "Meeting Encounter" rules for the tourney, then you
>won't =
get to pick when the fliers arrive, as they are considered reserves.
>Since=
 they will be your only reserve detachment, they _will_ arrive during
>the =
movement phase of turn 2.

>2) If you put them on transport orders, the p=
hoenixes are just hanging out,
>being worthless. Assuming they don't take =
any damage at all, you can't do a
>bombing run until they refuel, i.e. turn=
 2.

>I would suggest adding falcons to the Wavespinners, and replacing th=
>harlies with bikes. I believe you would still have enough points for a
=
>decent air support detachment.
Jetbikes are alot more expensive than the h=
arlies and falcons a whole lot
more pricey than the aspects. I would have =
to give up a detachment to do
either of these. I will crunch the numbers a=
nd see what it will look like.
          The warlock titan still looks so cool tha=
t I hate not using it. Aaargh.
 May not be the best thing to do tacticly b=
ut it would look groovy. Aaaargh.

The good point of the warlock is that =
in a 1000 point game it is likely to be mostly unkilleable(barring bad luck=
 of course) Your opponent probaly won't have enough Fp to throw at it, and =
it's hard to CC it. (30 AF and you can only get 4 guys on it!) Compared to =
other titans the Phantom has a ridiculusly high AF/DC ratio. Another thing.=
 You could replace the aspects with the nightspinners with bikes. Which cou=
ld run. They are more usefull in a FF and less in CC, oh well. Take your pi=
ck. Cost is the same either way.

----------------------------------------=
"You=
r incorrect assumptions are threefold."
"You assume law still reigns in the=
 Five Galaxies"
"You assume that we would be bound by precedents and precep=
ts from the last 10 million years."
"But your most incorrect assumption of =
all is to assume that we care."
                                        -David Brin, Infinity's Shore
------=