Re: [Epic] Q&A 3 and NEWS!

From: David Dresser <lemming_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 08:10:18 -0700

A. Allen McCarley wrote:

> >4)When members of a flyer detatchment become damaged, that detatchment
> > has two elements that finish rearming/refueling on differing turns.
> > My previous question on this topic was not comprehensive enough, and
> > several list members have asked me to clear up their lingering
> > questions. Which element(s) of this flyer detatchment may fly missions,
> > and when may they fly them?
> > a)Both elements of the detatchment may fly missions whenever they
> > become rearmed and refueled. The element of the detatchment that
> > does not include an HQ should select one flyer to act as its
> > HQ.
> > b)Both elements. It is not necesary to choose an interim HQ for
> > element that does not have one.
> > c)Only the element of the detatchment which includes the HQ may fly
> > missions when rearmed and refueled. When the other element is
> > rearmed/fefuled, it must still wait to join its brethren with
> > the HQ.
> > d)Only the bigger element of the detatchment may fly independant
> > missions, regardless of which element the HQ is in.
> > e)Neither element may fly a mission until the other is also
> > rearmed and refueled.
>
> P: A flyer that is damaged can't fly missions on its own (unless it i all
> that remin of the detachment, of course!). If the rest of the detachment
> flies a mission while the damaged flyer is being refueled, it simply
> remains for an extra turn at the refueling stage in order to catch up with
> them.

My apologies for pounding a lifeless horse, but this answer is merely a
summation of points already covered in a previous Q&A. Jervis did not
select one of the general rules proposed, and did not provide a general
rule sufficient to cover all situations.

For instance, suppose that a detachment of 3 units suffers damage to one
of them on the first turn. Two units go to refuel and one to repair.
On turn three, the two previously undamaged units fly another mission
and one of them is damaged. At the beginning of turn four one unit is
ready, one is refueling, and one is in for repairs. When can this
detachment fly?

Also, it seems to me that both of the responses cover situations where
only one flier is damaged. I wonder if the clarifications would be the
same if the question postulated fifteen damaged fliers and only one
unhurt.

It seems to me that what Jervis has been struggling to say is that a
detachment may fly no more often than every other turn, regardless of
how many fliers are ready to fly at that moment. Personally, I'm
inclined to keep thinking of speical cases until a useful general rule
is given. Would you mind terribly submitting this question again?

-Lemm